Connect with us

Hot News

US Court gives go ahead for Musk to face defamation charges over cave spat

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published 

 on 

US Court gives go ahead for Musk to face defamation charges over cave spat | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHOTO: Vernon Unsworth v Elon Musk.

by ThaiVisa

American tech entrepreneur, investor, and engineer, Elon Musk, is likely to face a lawsuit in the US over defamation after he described a British cave diver as a “pedo guy” on Twitter last year.

Musk also described Vernon Unsworth, who was one of the divers who first discovered the Mu Pa football team trapped in the Tham Luang cave last year, a “child rapist” in a private email to a journalist.

The war of words erupted after Unsworth mocked Musk’s mini-submarine that Musk’s company had built and sent to the caves to help with the rescue mission.

Unsworth said the submarine was nothing more than a “p.r. stunt” and that Musk could “stick his submarine where it hurts”.

Musk went on to call Unsworth “a pedo guy” on Twitter. The post was later deleted and Musk apologised for the slur.

Musk had tried to get the lawsuit thrown out of court in California with his legal team citing freedom of speech laws, adding that his comments were “over the top” and part of a “schoolyard spat on social media”.

However, on Friday, a judge in Los Angeles dismissed the plea and ruled that the defamation case could go ahead.

Lin Wood, one of Unsworth’s lawyers, told DailyMail.com… “We are extremely pleased with the denial (from the judge) and I look forward to speaking with Musk under oath about his false, heinous accusations against Mr Unsworth.”

SOURCE:Thaivisa.com

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Chiang Rai. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Thailand's fastest growing portal for news and information, in association with The Nation.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Weather

Floods cut off the main road between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai

The Thaiger

Published

on

Floods cut off the main road between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai | The Thaiger

Heavy downpours since the weekend have caused flooding in the Dow Saket district to the north east of Chiang Mai city centre, cutting off the main road to Chiang Rai in the Pa Miang District. The area around kilometre 32.9 was still submerged last night. The mayor of Pa Miang area says that several points along the way between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai had become impassable for bikes and small vehicles. The mayor noted that the flooding was the worst he’d seen in 15 years. “Officials have been working to drain the water from the areas and have successfully […]

Continue Reading

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

US donates thousands of masks for Thai hill tribes

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

US donates thousands of masks for Thai hill tribes | The Thaiger
PHOTO: US Embassy

Despite Thailand going over 2 months without a locally transmitted case of Covid-19, the US embassy has sent thousands of face masks to Chiang Rai province. A representative of the US embassy delivered the masks, valued at around 458,000 baht, to authorities in Chiang Rai this week. Regional US honorary consul general Sean O’Neil says the USA wants to help provide protection to the hill tribe people living in the remote mountains. “We are honoured that the Thai authorities trust us to help provide this equipment. We believe the Covid-19 face masks will be helpful for the poverty-stricken citizens during […]

Continue Reading

Crime

Chiang Rai couple arrested for smuggling more than a tonne of crystal meth

Jack Burton

Published

on

Chiang Rai couple arrested for smuggling more than a tonne of crystal meth | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Chinag Rai Times

Chiang Rai police have arrested 2 more people for arranging and overseeing the smuggling of more than a tonne of crystal methamphetamine, or “ice” to southern Thailand. The 48 year old man and his 31 year old wife were nabbed at their home yesterday in the province’s Mae Chan district, within 15 kilometres of the Burmese border. They’re charged with supervising the transport of 1,199 kilograms of crystal methamphetamine for smuggling into a third country. Investigators found that the unnamed couple were at a condominium in Lat Phrao area of Bangkok overseeing the transport of drugs seized in the southern […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending