Connect with us

News

Checking the facts on Phuket’s Chinese tourism ‘fallout’ – Thaiger TV

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Checking the facts on Phuket’s Chinese tourism ‘fallout’ – Thaiger TV | The Thaiger

Phuket

Two survive after a six wheeler overturns near the Sarasin Bridge

Kritsada Mueanhawong

Published

on

Two survive after a six wheeler overturns near the Sarasin Bridge | The Thaiger

Two people have survived after a six wheeler truck, carrying goods on the way to Patong, has overturned in the far north of the island.

Police and rescue workers arrived at the scene on Thepkrasattri Road, southbound, near the Phuket Gateway at 1am this morning, to find a six wheeler truck overturned on the side of the road.

The truck driver, 27 year old SuJinda Yeamloi from Songkhla, was waiting at the scene. 23 year old Duangjit Kongbangpoe was still stuck inside the cab crying with pain.

Rescue workers took about half an hour to free her with hydraulic cutters. She was immediately taken to the Thalang Hospital.

The truck driver told police that he was driving from Surat Thani to deliver goods at a shop in Patong with his girlfriend.

He was driving in the right lane when a pickup truck was driving behind him, honking his horn indicating he was going to overtake. SuJinda says he moved to the left lane to allow the pickup to pass but lost control of his vehicle and rolled over.

Police are continuing their investigation to find the cause of accident.

Two survive after a six wheeler overturns near the Sarasin Bridge | News by The Thaiger Two survive after a six wheeler overturns near the Sarasin Bridge | News by The Thaiger Two survive after a six wheeler overturns near the Sarasin Bridge | News by The Thaiger Two survive after a six wheeler overturns near the Sarasin Bridge | News by The Thaiger

Continue Reading

SE Asia

Aung San Suu Kyi stripped of prestigious peace award

Kritsada Mueanhawong

Published

on

Aung San Suu Kyi stripped of prestigious peace award | The Thaiger

Myanmar’s Aung San Suu Kyi has been stripped of Amnesty International’s most prestigious human rights prize, the Ambassador of Conscience Award, which she was awarded whilst still in detention in 2009.

Amnesty is calling out the defacto Burmese leader and accusing her of perpetuating human rights abuses by not speaking out about violence against the country’s Rohingya Muslim minority.

Once hailed as a champion for democracy and peace in Myanmar, Suu Kyi has been now stripped of a series of international honors over her handling of the brutal crackdown and Rohingya exodus following outbreaks of violence in the Rhakine region in August 2017.

More than 700,000 of the stateless Rohingya fled across Myanmar’s western-most borders into Bangladesh after the Myanmar Army launched a ruthless crackdown in response to Rohingya insurgent attacks on the security forces.

Human rights organisations, NGOs and UN investigators have continually accused the Burmese military of unleashing a campaign of killings, rape and arson with “genocidal intent”.

Suu Kyi’s administration, for their part, have ignored or rejected the findings claiming that they’re ‘one-sided’. Her response has been that the military action was a legitimate counter-insurgency operation.

The international human rights group named Suu Kyi as its 2009 Ambassador of Conscience Award recipient when she was still under house arrest for her opposition to Myanmar’s oppressive military junta.

Amnesty International says she had failed to speak out over the atrocities and continues to “shield security forces from accountability” for the violence against the Rohingya.

“A shameful betrayal of the values she once stood for”

Amnesty International informed Suu Kyi on Sunday about the decision to revoke the prestigious award. So far the Myanmar leader has not responded publicly about the decision.

Continue Reading

Thailand

Politicians raise doubt over February 24 election date

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Politicians raise doubt over February 24 election date | The Thaiger

The Election Commission secretary-general Jarungvith Phumma is refusing to confirm that the next election will be held on February 24, fuelling speculation of a possible delay.

He said February 24 was the earliest date the agency would be ready to hold the general election, citing a conclusion of an Commission meeting held many months ago in Pattaya.

“The election commissioners, however, have not scheduled February 24 as the election date,” he said.

Jarungvith added that according to its order, the ruling NCPO is also empowered to “work with” the EC in scheduling the election date.

The official noted that after the law on the election of members of Parliament takes effect on December 11, the national vote will be held within the next 150 days but not later than May 9 in accordance with the legislation.

Jarungvith’s remark caused politicians to conclude yesterday that the election will not be held on February 24.

Paiboon Nititawan, leader of the pro-junta People Reform Party, said he was convinced the next election would not be held on February 24, as many political parties would not be ready by then. He added, however, that he saw no problem with that.

He noted that the law requires election candidates to be members of a party for at least 90 days to be eligible to run under its banner.

Varawut Silapa-archa, who heads the Chartthaipattana Party’s policy and strategy committee, said he was not surprised by Jarungvith’s remark.

“Many people in the political circles who I talked to agreed that there would be no election on February 24. There are many factors that would cause the postponement,” Varawut said. However, he added that he believed the next election would be held within the legal limit of 150 days after the new law on MP elections takes effect.

“I can wait if the election will be postponed for a month or two. But it must be not later than 150 days. We have been waiting for four years already,” he said.

The young politician blamed the EC’s failure to designate constituencies early for the lack of preparedness of political parties. He said parties need to know which districts and areas are in which constituency so that they can field suitable candidates. Also, parties are required by law to select their candidates based on the results of primary voting among party members, he added.

Meanwhile, provincial officials of the EC have become worried that a delay in designating constituencies might cause the election to be postponed beyond February 24, according to a source familiar with the matter.

Pheu Thai politicians yesterday also called on the EC to complete the designation as soon as possible in order to prevent further delays in the election timing.

Meanwhile, Suthin Klangpha, a politician from the anti-junta Pheu Thai Party, said yesterday that he suspected the junta government was plotting to further delay the next election. He claimed that pro-junta political parties would seek postponement by arguing that they were not prepared for the election on February 24.

Politicians raise doubt over February 24 election date | News by The Thaiger

PHOTO: Election Commission secretary-general Jarungvith Phumma – The Nation

SOURCE: The Nation

Continue Reading

The Thaiger Newsletter

Keep up with all the day’s news. Subscribe here.

The latest news and information from Thailand.

* indicates required

Trending