Canadian placed on ‘watchlist’ over Thai girlfriend’s death in Phuket


Deputy national police chief Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn said the Canadian man whose girlfriend was found hanged in Phuket, southern Thailand, last week has been placed on a “watchlist” and will be investigated.

The deceased, 31 year old Wanvisa Riewklang, reported her boyfriend, 51 year old “Landy” to the police for alleged assault just days before her death.

Wanvisa’s brother Kriengsak Riewklang went to the media page Sai Mai Must Survive for help after feeling failed by the authorities, who put him into contact with Big Joke.

The family said the state of Wanvisa’s body didn’t look as if she had hanged herself. They are still awaiting autopsy results for a definitive answer.

Big Joke said he spoke to the superintendent of Patong Police Station to ask for clarification, who also said not much can be done until the autopsy results deem the case a murder or a suicide.

The police officer said Landy has been placed on a “watchlist” but there is not sufficient evidence for him to be placed on the blacklist.

Big Joke, former chief of immigration, said he contacted the Immigration Department to request that Landy be detained if he tries to leave Thailand as he needs to be investigated.

Kriengsak said that a few days before Wanvisa was found dead, she was physically assaulted and managed to escape, which she reported at the police station.

After that, Wanvisa told Kriengsak that Landy forced her to take drugs and took comprising videos of her which he later threatened to publish on the Internet.

Kriengsak alleges that Landy offered to pay him 500,000 baht to drop the case.


A Thai man accuses a Canadian man of murdering his younger sister who was found hanged in a nail salon in Phuket, southern Thailand, last week.

He says the Canadian assaulted, held hostage, drugged, and blackmailed his sister just days before her death. She reported him to the police three days before being found dead.

The Canadian allegedly offered the family 500,000 baht to drop the charges.

In an interview with the media page Sai Mai Must Survive, Kriengsak accused 51 year old “Landy” of Canadian nationality of murdering his 31 year old sister Wanvisa.

At 2pm on Wednesday, February 8, Kriengsak was informed by a friend that Wanvisa was found dead at her nail salon in Phuket’s Patong area, hanging with a curtain around her neck.

Upon arriving, rescue workers had already brought down Wanvisa’s body to unsuccessfully attempt CPR.

Her family says it doesn’t make sense that she committed suicide because her body was covered in wounds.

After an initial autopsy at Vachira Phuket Hospital, Wanvisa’s body has been sent for an additional autopsy at the Institute of Forensic Science. The family is still awaiting the results.

Kriengsak said Wanvisa knew Landy for four to five months. They met at an “entertainment venue” owned by Landy in Phuket and recently decided to get engaged.

At first, Wanvisa was working in the entertainment venue. However, she didn’t feel comfortable working there, so Landy opened a nail salon for her, said Kriengsak.

On February 5, Wanvisa rang her brother at 8pm saying she had been assaulted and locked in a room at her nail salon by Landy.

At 10pm, Wanvisa managed to escape, said Kriengsak. Kriengsak told her to go and report what happened to the police.

Wanvisa went to the police station in Phuket. However, Kriengsak says the police would not investigate the crime and simply “recorded” it.

At that time, Wanvisa told Kriengsak that two days prior on February 3, Landy forced her to take unknown substances and told her to go to sleep.

Wanvisa had no recollection of what happened. However, Landy said he “took a video clip” during the blackout and sent a message to Mali via LINE threatening to “release the video abroad.”

Wanvisa’s brother is convinced she was murdered by Landy. Kriengsak says Landy offered him 500,000 baht to not proceed with the criminal case.

Yesterday, Kriengsak travelled to meet high-profile police officer Surachate “Big Joke” Hakparn to expedite the case.

Wanvisa’s family says a suicide doesn’t make sense, not only because of the wounds, but because Wanvisa has two children and a sick father who she would not abandon.

Landy has not yet been arrested.

Kriengsak decided to take the case to the media after police failed to take Wanvisa’s allegations against Landy seriously in the days before her death, he told the media.

Crime NewsPhuket NewsThailand News


Leah is a translator and news writer for the Thaiger. Leah studied East Asian Religions and Thai Studies at the University of Leeds and Chiang Mai University. Leah covers crime, politics, environment, human rights, entertainment, travel and culture in Thailand and southeast Asia.

Related Articles