Connect with us

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

660,000 people in Thailand under watch as potential “high-risk” Covid-19 infections

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published 

 on 

660,000 people in Thailand under watch as potential “high-risk” Covid-19 infections | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

660,000 people around Thailand have been identified as at “high-risk of contracting or spreading Covid-19.

The director-general of the Health Service Support Department, Dr. Tharet Krasnairawiwong, says that over the past 2 months more than 11.8 million households around Thailand have been visited, identifying potential risk clusters and people who may have come into contact with the coronavirus.

“This group of people includes 59,178 people returning from abroad, 463,756 leaving Bangkok and heading home in the provinces, and those linked to the boxing stadium and entertainment venue clusters.”

The health volunteers have been providing education and advice to the “at risk” people and ensuring that they adhere to strict isolation protocols.

Meanwhile, epidemiologists have debunked rumours that asymptomatic coronavirus carriers who had returned from Italy may have been responsible for infecting boxing fans and visitors to a Thonglor area pub.

Dr. Yong Pooworavan, a well-known virologist attached to the faculty of medical science at Chulalongkorn University, says that scientists conducted genetic sequencing of several Covid-19 samples from patients and found more than 30 varieties, including those from Wuhan, Italy, Singapore and Indonesia, not Italy.

He made it clear that the strain from Italy, which had been detected in Thailand, was not more dangerous than virus strains from Wuhan, but that the Lumphini boxing cluster affected mostly high-risk people, which made it look as if the virus is more dangerous.

In Phuket, the second worst hit province in Thailand (in actual total case numbers), health workers say they have now screened over 3,000 people since the launch of the door-to-door search measures launched last week. The effort was to track down new coronavirus infections by targeting areas on the island where infection clusters have already occurred, or where there is a high concentration of people who worked in the night entertainment business.

Dr. Sopon Iamsirithavorn, director of the provincial disease control office in Phuket, says that 9% of the “high risk” group were tested and found to be infected. Only 1.1% of the general public tests come back positive.

“Quick discovery of the infected will result in early quarantine, which helps to limit the spread of the disease. The coronavirus situation in Phuket is now under control, although infection rate is second, after Bangkok.”

SOURCE: Thai PBS World

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Thai activist cries foul on government over US diplomat skirting quarantine

Jack Burton

Published

on

Thai activist cries foul on government over US diplomat skirting quarantine | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Activist, lawyer and Thailand's "complainer- in-chief" Srisuwan Janya -Thai PBS World

A transparency campaigner dubbed ” Thailand’s complainer-in-chief ” is accusing the government of negligence for allowing the chief of the US army to enter the country without having to go through a mandatory quarantine upon arriving. Activist Srisuwan Janya says he fears the visit of a delegation from the country with by far the most Covid-19 cases (not to mention deaths) in the world might reintroduce the virus to the Thai population.

“The US army chief and his delegation will come from the country with the world’s highest confirmed cases. We can’t be certain whether they will be free of the virus. The government has taken the promised measures for granted, to exclusively subserve the delegation’s benefit. ” The delegation, led by the US army chief of staff James McConville, will visit Thailand tomorrow and Friday, but the government says they’ll be required to follow strict measures.

Thailand began a partial border reopening on July 1 , in which limited groups of foreigners are permitted to fly into the country with the condition of a mandatory 14 day quarantine at specified facilities. However, exceptions are made for official guests and business people traveling on a special agreement with the government.

Srisuwan says he’ll file a complaint tomorrow against the government’s Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration at the Anti-Corruption Commission. He also criticized Deputy PM and Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul for not wearing a mask and failing to observe social distancing measures during the Fourth of July party held by the US embassy in Bangkok on Saturday.

“The government has repeatedly preached to the people to not let their guard down, but it turns out that people within the government have the privilege to be spared from those measures.”

American diplomats also did not wear masks in photos posted online by Anutin. The photos have since been deleted.

Thai activist cries foul on government over US diplomat skirting quarantine | News by The Thaiger

Taweesin Visanuyothin, the spokesman of the CCSD, says the Thai government could not impose a mandatory quarantine for the delegation because it is only a short visit. The US officials will still be required to take virus tests before and after their arrival in Thailand, and to wear masks at all times. Health and security officials will follow them throughout the trip and they won’t be allowed to stray from the itinerary during their 2 day visit.

The American delegation will be the first group of foreigners to pay an official visit to Thailand on a special agreement during the pandemic. The group is scheduled to meet PM Prayut Chan-o-cha and the army chief Apirat Kongsompong on Thursday.

The US ambassador to Thailand, Michael George DeSombre recently paid a courtesy call on Deputy PM Somkid Jatusripitak at the beginning of his tour of the Kingdom. DeSombre chose not to wear a facemask during the visit.

Thai activist cries foul on government over US diplomat skirting quarantine | News by The Thaiger

SOURCE: Khaosod English

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Continue Reading

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

First post-Covid flight from China lands in Bangkok

Jack Burton

Published

on

First post-Covid flight from China lands in Bangkok | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Shine

The first charter flight from China to Thailand has landed in Bangkok, after Thailand partially lifted its 3 month ban on foreign arrivals on July 1. Yesterday, a Spring Airlines flight flew 31 Thai nationals and 21 members of a Chinese company in Thailand from Shanghai’s Pudong International Airport to Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International airport.

All foreigners, except those with work permits, had been barred from entering Thailand since March. After more than 5 weeks with no locally transmitted cases of Covid-19, Thailand is again allowing entry to limited groups of foreigners.

Business travellers, diplomats, and government officials staying for less than 14 days are considered “fast-track travellers” who will be swab tested for Covid-19 when they arrive to ensure they are infection-free before entering. The so-called “medical tourists” are expected to be allowed in later this month.

Business Traveller reports that the following categories of travellers are now, or will soon be allowed into the country…

  • Thai nationals
  • Individuals who were invited by the PM or authorities responsible for the emergency
  • The spouses, parents, or children of a Thai national
  • Foreigners with residency rights in Thailand
  • Foreign spouses and children of work permit holders
  • Individuals carrying necessary goods, who must leave the country immediately after their work is done
  • Drivers and staff of vehicles that have to carry out necessary or important missions in Thailand and have a clear schedule for leaving
  • International students and their guardians
  • Foreigners and their caregivers seeking non-Covid-19 medical treatment in Thailand
  • The staff of embassies, consulates, international organisations or representatives of foreign governments who have to carry out their mission in Thailand as allowed by the Foreign Affairs Ministry, as well as their spouses, parents, and children
  • Foreigners who are allowed to enter Thailand as per special arrangements

According to the Bangkok Post, Suvarnabhumi airport has unveiled rapid coronavirus tests that are offered for overseas arrivals and being evaluated as another solution to limiting another outbreak in the Kingdom.

SOURCES: Shine | Business Traveler | Bangkok Post

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Continue Reading

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

Trump announces withdrawal from WHO over China claims

Jack Burton

Published

on

Trump announces withdrawal from WHO over China claims | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Al Jazeera

The UN has announced that the US is leaving the World Health Organisation effective July 6, 2021, after official notice from US President Donald Trump, who has been sharply critical of the agency’s handling of the Covid-19 pandemic. He had accused the WHO of being “a puppet of China”. The WHO has denied assertions by President Trump that it promoted Chinese “disinformation” about the virus.

Trump announced the decision over a month ago, and by law, must give a year’s notice of withdrawal from the Geneva-based body as well as pay all Washington’s dues under a 1948 joint resolution of the US Congress. The US currently owes more than US$200 million in assessed contributions, according to the WHO website. After more than 70 years of membership, and as the organisation’s main sponsor, the US is quitting the WHO amid rising tensions with China over the coronavirus pandemic. The virus first emerged in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year.

US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Trump’s official withdrawal “an act of true senselessness as WHO coordinates the global fight against Covid-19.”

“With millions of lives at risk, the President is crippling the international effort to defeat the virus.”

The number of cases worldwide is rapidly approaching 12 million, with more than 546,000 known deaths worldwide, with about 25% of both cases and deaths in the US. Trump’s decision could be overturned if he is defeated by his Democratic rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, in the November general election.

Trump stopped funding for the 194-member organisation in April, then in a May letter gave the WHO 30 days to commit to reforms. Less than 2 weeks later he announced the United States would leave the organization.

Vice President Mike Pence, was asked in a Fox News Channel interview, whether it was the right time to break with the WHO.

“It’s absolutely the right time.”

“The World Health Organisation let the world down… There have to be consequences to this.”

The WHO is an independent international body that works with the United Nations. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has said that the WHO is “absolutely critical to the world’s efforts to win the war against Covid-19.”

Since taking office in January 2017, President Trump has quit the UN Human Rights Council, the UN cultural agency, a global accord to tackle climate change and the Iran nuclear deal. He has also cut funding for the UN population fund and the UN agency that provides aid for Palestinian refugees.

SOURCE: Reuters

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Continue Reading

Trending