Connect with us

Phuket

Reward offered for missing catamaran

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Reward offered for missing catamaran | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

KATA: Yacht owner Chris Sieber is offering a US$5,000 reward for information directly leading to the recovery of his 46-foot catamaran Kilo, which went missing off Kata Beach on December 18.

Mr Sieber told the Gazette this morning that Kilo was last seen anchored offshore from the Kata Beach Resort on December 17, following the King’s Cup Regatta, for which Kilo was chartered.

“At first I thought they [the charter crew] may have taken her for a trip, but the next day we realized that the boat was missing,” Mr Sieber said.

He reported the boat as missing with Chalong Police and with the Marine Police the following day. Authorities in Ranong, Burma and the Andaman & Nicobar Islands have also been notified.

The Marine Police put out a call for all commercial fishing vessels to report any sightings of a boat matching the description of Kilo. However, they did not launch a search, Marine Police Lt Col Pratueng Siramanont told the Gazette today.

Although theft is a possibility, Mr Sieber has not ruled out that Kilo may simply have drifted off her anchor. However, he could not give an estimated search perimeter where the boat, if adrift, might be found.

“If she’s adrift she should be somewhere out between Sumatra and the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, but with the shifting winds as well as the currents, it’s nearly impossible to tell,” he said.

“But if she’s been stolen, she could be anywhere.”

Two aerial searches by the Phuket-based helicopter charter company HeliThai failed to locate the boat.

The first search, which took place on December 20, was southwest of Phuket, where Kilo is expected to be if she is adrift. The second search a few days later covered Phang Nga Bay, including Koh Yao Noi and Krabi.

Mr Sieber explained that Kilo had been stripped down for racing in the King’s Cup Regatta. There was very little drinking water and no provisions on board. “And I left only a little diesel,” he said.

Mr Sieber pointed out that Kilo would be easily identified by its distinctive Tim Mumby design. “If it has been stolen, then the thieves are not the brightest. There are only four boats like this in the world. It’s not like it’s a Toyota or a Mitsubishi,” he said.

Anyone with information about Kilo‘s current whereabouts is urged to contact Chris Sieber at Tel: +66-1-8871558 (Thai mobile) or by email at: seabear_1@yahoo.com or chris@katabigrock.net

Alternatively contact Bob Mott at Tel: +66-1-7974061 (Thai mobile) or by email at: marineware@loxinfo.co.th

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading

Trending