World

Letter to President Donald Trump

Thaiger

OPINION

John Magee was the owner of The Thaiger’s predecessor, the long-running Phuket Gazette. As a US citizen and longtime Republican, he’s penned a letter to the US President Donald Trump…

November 7, 2020

Dear Mr President:

Let me propose something to you in the simplest possible English, with no word exceeding ten letters or five syllables.

As an American now in his 51st year of residence overseas, the last 29 of which have been in Thailand (no; not near Taipei), I’m a bit sensitive about what “foreigners” think of our great nation. Generally, I feel it might be a bit negative, so that’s why, over the past four years, when asked, I’ve been telling the guy in the seat next to me on airplanes that I’m from Canada. A pity to have to do that.

While I’ve benefited personally – thank you – from your regime with respect to the U.S. Stock market and federal tax policy, the damage you have done to our economy, to race relations, to national health, to our trust, to our friends and allies overseas, to our image, ‘ethos’ and, above all else, basic behavioral standards, speaks for itself.

A couple of years ago I read an editorial in a British journal that presented a list of reasons as to why the English don’t love you as much as you might have thought. The list was of course lengthy, but apart from the underlying theme, which focused on your deficiencies in the matter of fair play, the writer noted that, ‘We Brits like a leader with a bit of a sense of humor’, and he lamented greatly that you don’t have one.

Why is this? Why is it that we never see you smile? All we ever see are your smirks, scoffs and snickers at those who do not share your views. No empathy, no mercy or mirth. Are you hiding something?

I write you now at the risk of losing a couple of good friends who support you, but fortunately these friends have both mirth and the ability to recognize that we’re all fallible (can you imagine that?) in our beliefs about what’s best for the world, so I hope our friendships will survive and defeat your crusade to tear us all apart.

Well, the election came and went and you lost it. So can we do a deal? You bow out graciously and retain whatever dignity you think you still have. And I, along with what we now know is the majority of other Americans, can feel more comfortable – not only with “foreigners”, but also – and even without a gun – my fellow countrymen.

With all due respect,

John Magee

Republican

Phuket, Thailand

Do you have some words you would send in a letter to the US President? Share them with us below…

Want more Thailand news from the Thaiger family?

📱 Download our app on Android or iOS for instant updates on your mobile
📝️ Join the conversation on Thaiger Talk - discuss news & life in our Thailand forums
📧 Subscribe to our daily email newsletter
👍 Like/Follow us on Facebook
🔔 Subscribe to or Join our YouTube channel for daily video updates

image

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Darryl Hubbard

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 9:35 am

Thank you for dealing with this issue with what I assume was a small dose of restraint…

That said at the beginning of your Op/Ed where you stated you were or are a life long Republican my first thought was oh no here we go. So I also extend my thanks for helping me identify that we all (obviously including myself) should let the stereotypes go and remember that we are first and foremost Americans. And though our opinions about the path we should take to reach what should be our mutual goal”A better Nation” we all love our country…

Shane Barge

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 8:00 am

Thank You!

lootarzoon

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 10:22 am

Very correct, as a golfer I agree on dismissing “the Commander in cheat” and was over & deeply deppressed when I read our Idol, Nicklaus to support such a fake mental.

Patrick

Monday, November 9, 2020 at 1:51 am

What a load of old Tosh. Republican my arse. Trump won that election by a country mile. 800,000 up in Pennsylvania and mysteriously mail in ballots that they won’t allow to be scrutinised roll on from where? All for Biden. Impossible. The same with Georgia and the same with every other Corrupt Dem state, and they’re all corrupt. Just like the scam Russia hoax. Total fraud. Trump was without doubt one of the best presidents America has ever had. Racism. Bullshit. Go and sell lefty crazy somewhere else.We’re all stocked up over here.

David

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 6:44 pm

Did you write a letter to Al Gore when he challenged the election results of 2000, 37 days beyond Election Day, and took it all the way to the Supreme Court? I doubt you were ever a Republican. I know plenty of Democrats who pull that same stunt to give themselves more credibility when attacking the president.

RA

Friday, November 13, 2020 at 11:31 am

You’re really full of that “Kool-Aid” aren’t you? You can’t prove even one of the statements you’ve made. Trump will easily go down in the top 5 worst presidents ever. He continues to prove that to this day. And I’m a HARDCORE Republican.

Tim

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 10:48 am

Well said, every word of it. Thanks for this John

Nils

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 12:28 pm

Well Said ,a Swedish republikan.Thank you John.

Ron Abernathy

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 10:48 am

Dear Mr. Magee,
    May I say, as a fellow American and Republican, WELL SAID and thank you. The damage done to the Office of the President will take time and courage to repair. I hope the Dignity and Respect can be restored to the Oval Office.

Jack

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 12:31 pm

A motorcycle gang is a democracy. End the nation state, let the people be free. Stop coercing me to comply with your world views.

Dave

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Great stuff, I’m sure he’ll read it. Regardless, he would be used to dealing with pompous, self-righteous preachers.

You are aware that the majority you speak of absolutely hate your guts, right?

Paul

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 12:36 pm

I would first like to say I am not an American but as the author of this hit piece has suggested Trump has belittled the U.S. abroad I can say with quiet conviction this is by no means the case. Yes the MSM will let you think this but these are quite often global concerns and do not reflect the will of the people. Brexit in my country was a perfect example of this. I am a Brit who also lives in Thailand and would like to say I have yet to meet someone who does not agree with his views even if his modus operandi is sometimes quite odd.

Issan John

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 1:00 pm

Regardless of whether his policies are good or bad, Trump’s made America and Americans the laughing stock of the world, and while having 47% of the vote may not be enough to win the election it’s more than enough to maintain their position as the world’s least respected and most ridiculed nation.

RA

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 2:49 pm

And your comment is also more than enough to maintain your position as the least respected and most ridiculed commentator here.

Francis

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 1:40 pm

Very well said.

Sadly Trump, can’t or will exit gracefully, I guess handcuffed he’s removed from “his White House” the 20th January ?

Harry Paratesties

Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Drinking the media Kool-aid, are you? Man, you are filled with hate.

The election isn’t decided and even if it was- he is still president for a few more months.
      The media doesn’t decide the election.

Mike

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 1:51 pm

To all my brothers and sisters who screamed in horror when he first put his hand up – and kept screaming that Trump was pure poison, I can say quite honestly and with no joy whatsoever – we told you so.

Iain

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 3:34 pm

John well written I have US friends who feel the same really just gob smacked at the antics of the last four years.
    Trump has done immeasurable damage to many other countries as well.
    As I an Aussie I see now due to trade wars with the US, China has turned on Australian exports as we are an ally with the US. We are an innocent bystander hurt by the turmoil of the last 4 years.
    We may have handled the virus and the damage to the economy but China retaliation will be worse.

sam thompson

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 4:10 pm

I doubt that there is a chance Trunp will bow out gracefully because he is not capable of doing so. I read a really persuasive article which suggested that he has a personality disorder which apparently cannot be treated [unlike mental illness]. He is a malignant narcissist which is displayed in his lack of conscience [psychopathy], an unusually frail ego with an insatiable need for adulation [the narcissism], incapable of empathy or guilt, shame, experiencing higher level feelings, understand and respect higher level values. Evebn if only a little bit of this is accurate [and it sounds pretty fair] then this is not a man who is capable of reacting within the correct norms of expected and desired behaviour.

David

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 6:48 pm

You read a hit piece against the president that is total BS. Did you take issue with Al Gore fighting the election results of 2000? He fought for 37 days, and took it all the way to the Supreme Court.

Toby Andrews

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 5:02 pm

Being a Brit I shall not comment on the political affairs of the great USA.
    It is not my place. It is not my right.
    I wish others citizens who are not American would show the same restraint and good manners.
    The USA is a great country whoever is president.
    I have been in 45 States.

Don R

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 5:13 pm

Of course a “life-long Republican” would prefer Biden.

Young, liberal votes are really fooling themselves if they’re celebrating.

If you look at the demographic groups who flipped to support Biden, and if you look at the policies he campaigned on, it’s nothing less than a win for elderly conservative suburban white voters.

This is also reflected in the older age of Democratic candidates, Dems’ coziness with the powerful tech industry, and Dems’ consistent preference to cater to suburban professionals over their own progressive base. At the same time, under Trump’s leadership, Republicans expanded their support among the working poor.

If these trends continue, the two parties could swap roles. Democrats will increasingly become the party of big business and upper-middle income professionals, while Republicans will become the party of the working poor and minorities.

Why anyone under 30 would vote for Democrats at this point is beyond me, and I’m a life-long liberal Democrat. They’re selling out their own base to become the new GOP, and it was easily predictable.

Brian

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Fool. If you’re not aware of the fraud issues, you’re not informed. Trump has a duty to try to ensure that the election is legitimate. He is now doing that. If you feel annoyed about Trump, take it up with your therapist or something.

Jack B. Nimble

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Brian, I couldn’t agree with you more! Trump is crass and not very “soft” when dealing with those trying to “get over” on the US. Then again, his message was unlike every other President since Reagan, America First! No more weakness bowing to leaders! What a weak and racist guy Obama was. Weak indeed. I’m so sick of America always bailing everyone out. America should be first, dominant, in control of our own economy (just look at that market and laugh all the way to the bank as I have!) My question to all these “farang” hanging out over here is: HAVE you been paying your taxes or are you ready to relinquish your citizenship to stay over here for all these years…

Dolph RIP

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Trump will be missed once China takes over SE Asia, he is the only leader willing to stand up to them. Just ask the Urgers!!!

Independent Voter

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:34 pm

And Biden is the solution? He’s pathetic. Ignoring that fact:

Complainers with no solution are as bad as your description of Trump, whether it’s politics, business, the media or every day life.

If the law was broken, shouldn’t it be investigated? Do you trust the likes of Soros, Clinton, Pelosi, etc? Their most recent comments should answer that question. I hope you never find a similar predicament.

Jack vale

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:42 pm

Trump will be missed very soon! Back to corruption and dirty deals very soon. China will soon take over.

AMOZ

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Reality is we are Not Republican or Democrat – that in itself is being racist. We are All Human – and rarely do we find anyone on this planet that actually acts Humanely. They did not like JFK – They Killed Him – They didn’t like Ronald Reagan – they tried to kill him. The didn’t like Abraham Lincoln and they Killed Him. From the Beginning of His Presidency – the opposition has been trying to kill Trump – one way or the other. What are the opposition afraid of ? He rocked the Boat, stirred up a Political Hornets Nest full of rabid politicians bent on filling their pockets with behind the scene deals while the average American suffers. You don’t see Maxine Waters even showing up in her own district in California and it’s one of the worst / poorest in the state. Yet she lives in her 6 Million Dollar Home telling us what is right and wrong – just remember when you point your finger at someone else Maxine – you are pointing three fingers back at yourself. My Father was a WW2 Veteran, was in the Submarine Service and was one of the Subs that Escorted the BB63 Missouri into Tokyo Bay and watched the Surrender of the Japanese. He as well as millions of others fought for the Freedom that were fought for at Yorktown, Valley Forge, Trenton by George Washington and the original 13 Colonies. You are throwing that precious freedom away. This is why I have spent more than half my life living outside the USA and even acquired Citizenship in other Free Nations because I saw a long time ago what political cronies were doing to what should be so precious to everyone on this planet we call Earth ( Liberty & Freedom ). Graduated High School in 1968 and My Classmates are as worried as I am that those freedoms will soon perish. Fight for what is Right – In God we Trust – Not Joe Biden.

Independent Voter

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:45 pm

Thank you for deleting my different view of the situation. Sounds a little like the situation in America.

John

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Mr Magee,
    As a Canadian I object to you hiding behind the Canadian flag.
    Get a backbone.
    I too cringe when I am reminded of who is present prime minister and chief lisr, commander sparklesocks trudeau but I do not go running to hide from my nationality.

John L

Libertarian

Udon Thani

HARRY TRUMAN

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 8:29 pm

I say why bother about this –no president is perfect–no citizen is perfect. Anyone who is an American can see in this election there is the greatest democracy in the world. The facts are that 70 million people voted for Trump and he was eelcted once –something only 45 other people have done. so stop the CNN speak. respect the office of the president, go to the pub like they do in England and have a few.

HARRY TRUMAN

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 8:32 pm

And if the yanks cant field a better caandidate than Joe next time, Trump will be re-elected. Just wait……just finished my first beer.

Tony Larkins

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 8:35 pm

why did they take Harry Truman’s comments down?

Tony Larkins

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 8:39 pm

it seems that any pro trump or balanced view is being censored on this site as i see soem comments which are not at all out of line being taken down

JohnG

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 10:10 pm

Ridiculous that people don’t care about voter fraud and the entrenched political and media corruption of the deep state that Trump fights for the American people, and the world. Those of you that decide to dislike the person and ignore his achievements deserve a life of servitude without freedoms.

Man up, boys and see the bigger picture.

I’m a Brit and I only hope one day the UK will find someone like Trump to drain the historically deeper swamp for us.

Leo Z

Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 11:25 pm

It’s interesting that if he had wrote this letter about the Thai PM, for example, he would be facing “retribution” now, in many different forms. But perhaps he’s lived in Asia too long, speaking about “regimes”….he should know.
    In addition, he can’t explain how this President that he mocks is not supported by a clique of thugs or a circle of “deplorables”, but by about 71 million voters. Compare that to an election where he may have voted in the US back in 1984, when Reagan got 54 million votes.

Nick

Monday, November 9, 2020 at 2:06 am

Wait a minute!! Biden is not yet a President!! Did you all know about the fraud that the democrat has done? This is what happen when you only listening and watch the main stream medias that not only bias but trying to distroy President Trump at all cost!! I would predict that from next week the US supreme court is going to decide who will win the President not the medias. May God protect the United States Of America!!

john

Monday, November 9, 2020 at 3:42 am

America is headed toward civil war.

Peter

Monday, November 9, 2020 at 11:46 am

tRump’s ego is a study of mania.

HOWEVER, after the dust settles, the world will see that tRump had the guts to to stand up to bullies.

Even though many would accuse him of being a bully, he did not start any wars, he was the only one to talk with North Korea and he gave China a real hard kick up the back-side.

Im glad he’s gone, but we should give him credit for the above.

Nawin

Monday, November 9, 2020 at 3:39 pm

I am not by far a believer in both candidates, but T. made far too many promises to start off with which weren’t all fulfilled. Saying that, why this B character has been seen on occasions (on film you can check it out on the internet) snuggling into young girls hair and whispering something in their ears which makes them back off from the creep! He doesn’t look like someone I would leave a child with after such antics! Plus, he has forgotten what he was saying half way though sentences.

Thomas

Monday, November 9, 2020 at 9:06 pm

John,
    I feel sorry that you feel the need to continue the negative campaign that has been a four-year strategy by the democratic party. You obviously have bought-in the the media frenzy, a for-profit business that generates fear and panic that has divided our nation.

I encourage you to research the facts and then publish your thoughts that are policy-based.

You, and every American should be concerned and embrace an investigation into ballot fraud, regardless of party affiliation. I hope with all sincerity that an investigation would find that ballot fraud is not a factor in this election, otherwise we as Americans are not free to choose who we elect for president.

I respect your right to your opinion; however, please know that you do not speak for all Americans.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Joseph McKee

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 11:12 pm

I never heard a positive comment from the media about Trump. Say what you will, but Trump did try to close foreign military bases and return troops to the USA.
    This created many antagonists from the Pentagon to foreign leaders who rely on the US to protect their countries and contribute to their GNP. He paraphrased Eisenhower’s exit speech. He stood up to China when no one else would. The tried to normalize relations with North Korea. He lowered US taxes and boosted market prices, etc. Possibly the reason he never smiles is because of the constant attempt to impeach him. From Russian collusion to Ukraine scandals the Democrats never stopped with the constant efforts to discredit him.

Sam

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 10:19 am

The USA is a stain on Democracy! With a party that supports a madman in the WH! RIP USA

AI

Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 3:45 pm

I hope I am wrong about this. But it seems that this is all heading towards a civil conflict and possible war.
    Didn’t that monster Kissinger say back in 1991 something along the lines of “Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order; tomorrow they will be grateful!”

To my American brothers and sisters, don’t let it go that far because that will be walking blinded into the hands of very evil “people.”

David

Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 10:04 pm

Dear Mr. Magoo;

AS a proud American, when I am challenged about President Trump,I cite the long list of accomplishments of the president and tell them I voted for him and support him fully. If they don’t like it, they can move away form me.
    I am not an American with weak knees. I don’t feel the need to placate anyone from any country. Its none of their business who is president. They can go to their leftist rathole countries and stay there.
    You have been away from the USA for a long time and it shows just how out of touch you are with what has been happening for a very long time.

You’re an American? Then you should know your constitution which you clearly don’t. The election isn’t over. There is no winner as of this posting. The media doesn’t decide who wins except in the minds of brainwashed fools like yourself. There is a process- its outlined in the constitution and we are following it accordingly.

You’re a republican? Republican in name only.
    You’re an American? American in name only. The word lick-spittle comes to mind when I read what you wrote.
    What kind of wimp has to hide the fact that he is an American?

If we had more people like yourself during WW2 we would all be speaking German or we’d be a lampshade.

Even if Beijing Biden turns out to be the winner when the court proceedings are decided and the election is certified, I just consider it a 4 year break for President Trump. I look forward to voting for him in 2024 as we will have quite the mess to contend with if the leftists and the Manchurian candidate in office.

Thank You, President Trump for for 4 great years and I look forward to 4 more- even if there is a break in between.

MAGA

lpe88 agent

Friday, November 20, 2020 at 5:52 am

Stunning story there. What happened after? Good luck!