Fire scare at Phuket student dormitory

PHUKET: Smoke pouring from a second-floor window at a girls’ student dormitory late yesterday afternoon prompted no fewer than three fire trucks to rush to the scene to extinguish the blaze.

Phuket City Police received a report of the fire, at the Phuket Rajabhat University dormitory on Rassada-anusorn Road (map here), at 5pm.

Firefighters arrived promptly and took about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control, Deputy Superintendent Chao Phomna of the Phuket City Police explained.

“The building has four floors. Smoke was coming out from a window on the second floor,” he said.

Related news

“The fire was in a storage room, where mattresses and pillows had caught on fire. The room was locked and nobody was inside,” Col Chao said.

No injuries from flames or smoke inhalation were reported, he added.

Police suspect an electrical short-circuit started the blaze.

“However, forensic officers will examine the actual cause of the fire. The result of the forensic investigation is expected to be released in about two weeks,” Col Chao said.

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Phuket News

Thaiger Talk

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply