More than 4,000 entrants of all ages and abilities from 45 countries competed on a variety of distance courses in an atmosphere of community fun and charity fund-raising.
Page finished the 42 kilometer marathon in a time of 02: 41:02, followed by Yasuhiro Saito of Japan in 02:52:01 and Panom Khansamol of Thailand in 02:58:23.
His winning LPIM trophy represented a partnership with a new sister race – the Italian 10km Igrani Run – in an initiative by Laguna and sponsored by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), which also sponsors the Igrani Run. The trophy was presented by TAT Rome marketing director Sandro Botticelli.
The women’s 42km race was won by Naomi Ochai of Japan in 03:19:38 with another Japanese, Fumie Terahata, second in 03:27:24 and Ninik Sugawati of Indonesia third in 03:34:48.
In the half marathon, Thai TV star and aspiring marathoner Krittapas “Krit” Sakdidtanon – the event’s Charity Ambassador – was accompanied by a fund-raising team in a ‘Charity Caravan’ and delighted locals in villages and markets along the course by stopping to collect donations for the Laguna Phuket Foundation.
Funds raised went to LPIM’s ‘Run for Our Kids’ drive, which aims to raise one million baht for the foundation, which will be used to support of local schools and communities
Other personalities who competed in LPIM – rounded out by a 10.5km run, the 91.5FM Community Walk and a 2km Kids’ Run – included Australian ‘Couple on the Run’ Andrew and Sue O’Brien, who have run some 80,000 kilometers side-by-side at marathons and ultra-marathons around the world; and 79 years-old British veteran Robin Wilson, LPIM’s oldest 42k runner and one of the last home in seven-and-a-half hours to chalk up the 400th marathon finish of his running career.
42k Full Marathon
- 1. Michael Page UK 02: 41:02
- 2. Yasuhiro Saito JPN 02:52:01
- 3. Panom Khansamol THA 02:58:23
- 1. Naomi Ochai JPN 03:19:38
- 2. Fumie Terahata JPN 03:27:24
- 3. Ninik Sugawati INA 03:34:48
21k Half Marathon
- 1. Jackson Kibet Kenei KEN 01:15:45
- 2. Jaray Jearanai THA 01:19:01
- 3. Asle Slettmoen NOR 01:20:51
- 1. Veronique Messina FRA 01:35:54
- 2. Laainam Chaipornkaew THA 01:36:33
- 3. Kathrin Puff GER 01:38:39
- 1. Giovanni Ruggiero ITA 00:34:24
- 2. Anan Pomseane THA 00: 37:48
- 3. Hiro Hirabayashi JPN 00:38:13
- 1. Anna Stroh GER 00:43:31
- 2. Helen Wright GBR 00:46:32
- 3. Sirapat Butjeen THA 00:47:41
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.