Krabi Police reject YouTube rapist bail blame
PHUKET: The Krabi Provincial Police will post a YouTube video in response to the “Evil man in Krabi” music video that has caused a furore in Phuket’s sister tourism province across Phang Nga Bay.
The news was announced at a press conference yesterday called by Krabi Governor Prasit Osathanon to answer publicly what action has been taken in the case.
“The case is about the Dutch tourist raped by a Krabi tour guide on July 28. We arrested the suspect on July 29 and presented him to Krabi Provincial Court,” explained Krabi Provincial Police Commander Nunthadej Yoinual.
“Later, the court allowed him to post bail. Our investigation officers opposed the bail, but were unsuccessful,” he said.
“The content of the video is totally different from what really happened. It is said in the video that police ‘easily’ released the suspect, which is absolutely wrong. It was the judge who allowed the suspect to be released on bail. Police cannot be involved in this decision,” the police general added.
Governor Prasit voiced his support for the Krabi Police chief.
“The Krabi Provincial Office was aware of the case since the beginning. However, once the case was presented to the Krabi Provincial Court, we could not interfere,” he explained.
Maj Gen Nunthadej defended the efforts of his officers to protect tourists and deliver justice.
“We try our best to protect tourists’ lives and property. We have never ignored them and we will never stop our work in making tourists confident and reassured that their stays in Krabi will be safe and secure,” he said.
He highlighted the recent case of a teenage gang attacking a young British couple near a parking lot at Nopparat Thara Beach on October 22.
“The injured tourists were a 21-year-old couple from England. Police arrested the three suspects and presented all of them to the Krabi Court. They are now being held in the detention cells at the court while police collect more evidence and question more witnesses in preparing our case against them,” he added.
“We will shortly release a video to respond to the ‘Evil Man From Krabi’ video on YouTube. The video will clarify the truth to the public,” Gen Nunthadej said.
Wiyada Srirangkul, Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Krabi office, said her office will step up its efforts in assisting police in getting clear, accurate information out to the public.
“We were not involved in the Dutch female rape case and were not aware of it. We have helped in other cases, such as the British tourists who were attacked at Ao Nang. We even received a thank-you email from them saying they will come back, if they can,” she said.
“From now on, the TAT Krabi office will work more closely with the local police so we can coordinate better and make the media report the truth,” Ms Wiyada added.
Present at the conference was Krabi Hotel Association President Ittirit Kinglek, who this week blamed the handling of the case by local authorities for a backlash of holiday cancellations by tourists who had already booked trips to Krabi.
— Kritsada Mueanhawong
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.