Connect with us

South

Ninth measles victim in Yala, 3 remain critically ill

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Ninth measles victim in Yala, 3 remain critically ill | The Thaiger

PHOTO: A mother holds her child as nurses at the Tambon Yala Health Promotion Hospital in Yala’s Muang district vaccinate him against measles yesterday. – Nakharin Chinnawornkomol

Another child has died as a result of complications from measles in Yala province yesterday morning.

This latest preventable fatality brings the number of deaths from the disease in the southernmost province to nine since June. The Yala Provincial Public Health Office head Dr Songkran Maichum announced the sad news to the media yesterday.

The Nation reports that three other children remain critically ill with measles at Yala Hospital. Admitting the disease outbreak in the province was “worrying”, he said his office aimed to have 7,000 at-risk children – especially those aged between five months and five years old – in Yala vaccinated by November 4.

He said the main reasons for the fatalities were that the patients had not been brought to hospital early enough, dying from subsequent health complications, and not been vaccinated at an early age. He also said the 8,000 doses of vaccines available were sufficient, though the office has requested for another batch of 3,000 doses.

Songkran noted that the most-affected districts were Yaha, Bannang Sata and Kabang in Yala province.

Health officials continued vaccinating young children against measles yesterday. Acting director of Tambon Yala Health Promotion Hospital, Nurse Thelma Doyor, led a team to vaccinate 15 children in Ban Pajo (Moo 3) in Muang district.

Aiming to cover the area’s 108 toddlers, the hospital will ask for additional doses to cover the rest by November 4, she said.

The hospital had previously vaccinated 35 children. Abdul-Roning Abdulloh, the imam of Ban Pajo Mosque, said he was inviting residents to have their children vaccinated, as he was able to confirm that it is acceptable for Muslims to receive the vaccine. He cited his previous consultation with many Muslim doctors about the vaccine, as some people were afraid that the vaccinations were not in accordance with halal principles.

The Imam added that he will tell people during the Friday prayer assembly that vaccines were necessary to protect young children. Songkran said officials giving the vaccines have been told to download a video clip featuring statements from the Sheikhul Islam Office and Provincial Islamic Committees saying this treatment is acceptable.

STORY: The Nation

Read The Thaiger’s editorial about the issue HERE.



Are you considering a medical procedure abroad? With Thaiger Medical you can research hospitals and doctors, choose a destination in Thailand or abroad, and book an appointment today.

Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in South Thailand. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

South

Thai PM condemns southern violence. Urges media to be ‘careful’ covering the story.

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Thai PM condemns southern violence. Urges media to be ‘careful’ covering the story. | The Thaiger

PHOTOS: The Nation

Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has responded to escalating violence in the strife-torn South today by saying that the people behind the deadly attack at a temple in Narathiwat province on Friday night were seeking to ramp up attention given to the violence in the South to the international level and lure officials into conducting “forceful suppression”.

“Those who were behind the attack in Narathiwat’s Sungai Padi district on January 19 intended to destroy morale, spirits as well as the patience of Thailand in using peaceful methods to solve the ongoing conflicts and violence in the South.”

“They want us to use all-out suppression so that the case could draw international attention and later international involvement, as has happened in many countries facing internal violence,” he added.

“The attackers also exploited for their own benefit the reports in the media and social-media platforms concerning the attack in which two monks were killed, using them as channels for spreading their acts inside and outside the country.”

Trying to suppress coverage of the violence the PM urged the media to be careful with their coverage.

“The media and social-network users should understand the issues and help create confidence and be cautious in their reporting, so that they do not become supporters of the attackers.”

He acknowledged that the size of the areas subject to attacks had made it difficult for the authorities to fully take care of people, as well as sensitive targets such as teachers, students, monks and religious leaders.

“Those who want special protection should alert officials and authorities concerned. The public should help the authorities by providing information.”

Prayut also asked politicians to be careful in the statements they use in their political campaigns for the upcoming national election.

He vowed to continue the peace talks between the authorities and insurgents’ movements and groups, in order to demonstrate to the world that “we have adopted all kinds of measures, not only law enforcement, to restore peace in the southern region of Thailand”.

Thai PM condemns southern violence. Urges media to be 'careful' covering the story. | News by The Thaiger

SOURCE: The Nation

Continue Reading

South

UPDATE: 4000 villagers attend funeral rites for slain monks in Narathiwat

Kritsada Mueanhawong

Published

on

UPDATE: 4000 villagers attend funeral rites for slain monks in Narathiwat | The Thaiger

Over 4,000 villagers, including more than 300 monks from several temples in southern provinces and border provinces of Malaysia, have attended a bathing ritual for the two monks slain by gunmen who stormed Wat Rattananuparb in Narathiwat on Friday night.

Read more about the raid HERE.

The bathing rites for Phra Khru Prachote Rattananurak, the abbot of Wat Rattananuparb, and another monk was attended an co-charied by the Fourth Army Region commander Lt-Gen Pornsak Poonsawat and the chief monk of the southern region, Phra Promjariyajarn.

For security reason, the people who came from other districts and provinces were given the priority to perform the bathing rite so that they could return home before nightfall.

The temple’s abbot and three other monks were having tea at a pavilion on the temple ground before their daily prayer on Friday evening when about 10 gunmen, believed to be southern militants, attacked and killed the Wat’s head abbot and another monk.  Two other monks were also seriously injured in the assault.

Meanwhile, the National Human Rights Commission has issued a statement condemning the assault and the murder of a Muslim cleric of Rueso district of Narathiwat back on January 11.

The commission also urged people in the restive region to cooperate with the authorities to watch out for suspicious activities or people in order to prevent violent incidents from occurring.

UPDATE: 4000 villagers attend funeral rites for slain monks in Narathiwat | News by The Thaiger

PHOTO: Wat Rattananuparb – Thai PBS

Continue Reading

South

UPDATE: Narathiwat temple murders – Security increased while PM condemns shooting

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

UPDATE: Narathiwat temple murders – Security increased while PM condemns shooting | The Thaiger

PHOTO: Slain Abbot Phra Khru Prachote Rattanarak

The national police chief is ordering police regional units in Narathiwat to ramp up security in the province to hunt down the culprits behind last night’s deadly attack at a temple.

Police spokesman Pol Lt General Piya Uthayoh says the motive behind the attack on monks at Rattananuparb Temple in Sungai Padi district is unclear. The Army’s Fourth Army Region is investigating, he said.

A group of about 10 attackers armed with assault rifles opened fire inside the temple, killing Phra Khru Prachote Rattanarak, the abbot and chief monk of the district, as well as another monk.

The national police chief also ordered increased security in the province and other areas to improve safety.

Meanwhile, Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has condemned the latest violence in Narathiwat in which two monks were gunned down and some others injured on Friday night.

The Nation reports that Government spokesman, Puttipong Bunnakun, says the PM pleaded for residents in the South to continue pursuing a peaceful solution to the conflict.

“The premier deplores the ambush at Rattananuparb temple which resulted in deaths and injuries of monks. He ordered officials to urgently investigate the incident and bring those involved to justice. He asked the public to have confidence in the government’s commitment to restore peace in the country.”

UPDATE: Narathiwat temple murders - Security increased while PM condemns shooting | News by The Thaiger

SOURCES: The Nation

Continue Reading

The Thaiger Newsletter

Keep up with all the day’s news. Subscribe here.

The latest news and information from Thailand.

* indicates required

Trending