Million-baht blaze ravages Phuket air-conditioner store

PHUKET: Police believe a short-circuit started a fire that caused a million baht in damage at an air-conditioning store in northern Phuket this morning.

The fire was reported at 8:30am by 25-year-old shop owner Panida Mekthavornsawat, who arrived to open her New Kee Equipment store only to find smoke billowing out from the roof.

The store, located about 500 meters north of the Heroines Monument (map here), also specializes in air-conditioning parts and maintenance.

Police were called and immediately notified firefighters and Kusoldharm rescue workers, said Lt Chatree Chuwichian of the Thalang Police.

Related news

“The firefighters separated into two teams. One team entered the building to fight the fire inside, while the other team doused water onto the back of the shop.

“Local residents and the rescue workers carried whatever products they could out of the building to safety while the firefighters battled the blaze. It took about an hour to extinguish,” he said.

Ms Panida told the Phuket Gazette that she did not suspect arson.

“I don’t have any conflicts with anyone. The fire might have started from a short-circuit,” she said.

Lt Chatree agreed.

“At this stage, we believe a short circuit started the fire, but the Phuket Forensic Office needs to investigate before we can confirm that,” he said.

— Thawit Bilabdullar

Phuket News

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply