Connect with us

Phuket

Patong clean-up underway

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Patong clean-up underway | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PATONG: Patong Municipality yesterday approved a 20-million-baht budget to begin clean-up operations following the devastation wrought by tsunami waves on Sunday.

Mayor Pian Keesin today told the Gazette that municipal officials were still searching for bodies, but that 100% of those who suffered injury had already been sent to hospitals.

He said workers and vehicles had been hired to clear debris along the beach road, and that it would take about a month “to restore the area to its original condition”.

“I have already reported all the damage to Phuket Governor Udomsak Usawarangkura. I think the central government should provide us with special budgets to fix roads and damaged utilities, such as the power supply system,” he said.

He said there was no still power along the beach road because the power poles were toppled by the waves – and it was too dangerous to run power though them with so many pedestrians in the area and the clean-up operation underway.

He said that after the clean-up, he would use the disaster as an opportunity to ensure that redevelopment took place in accordance with the Municipality’s new town planning scheme.

He also provided his own harrowing account of the disaster.

“I was standing in front of my resort, the Patong Bay Garden Resort, when I was suddenly washed away about 200 meters before. Finally I managed to cling to a tree. I saw things weighing as much as two tons lifted up and floating away past me,” he recounted.

“We tried moving hotel guests to at least 300 meters from the beach. There was great chaos on that day and I still don’t know how I managed to survive,” he said.

Mayor Pian explained that efforts to start the clean-up yesterday were undermined by workers’ fear of another tsunami hitting the beach resort.

“Yesterday we tried to clear up the beach road using street-sweeping lorries, but even after we offered 10,000 baht an hour to get people to operate them along the beach road, we couldn’t find anyone brave enough to take the offer,” he said.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

With all patients recovered, Phuket closes its Covid-19 field hospital

Jack Burton

Published

on

With all patients recovered, Phuket closes its Covid-19 field hospital | The Thaiger
PHOTO: The Phuket News

So long, farewell. Phuket, which has had the highest number of Covid-19 infections per capita in Thailand, is closing its first “field hospital” after discharging its final patients. The temporary hospital is closing down, hopefully for good, and will be “put on standby,” as the last patients have recovered, the island’s governor announced yesterday.

The building was actually the unfinished new provincial HQ for the local Phuket government. The building’s completion has been stalled for years with uncompleted contracts and delays. But it has served an important purpose in housing the island’s Covid-19 patients and keeping them away from the main hospitals.

“Today is the day that Phuket has zero Covid-19 patients. I would like to thank all officials and Phuket residents for their efforts and cooperation to make our province finally Covid-19-free. Our next job is to rehabilitate the province’s economy, especially the tourism industry, which has been severely affected by the outbreak.”

The governor was joined at the closing ceremony by representatives from the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s Phuket Office, the Phuket Chamber of Commerce and the Phuket Federation of Industries to hand out 600 survival kits to local people affected by the Covid-19 crisis.

Phuket’s first field hospital was established in March with 104 beds in a two-storey building. It was staffed with medical professionals from 5 hospitals throughout the province. Some 123 Covid-19 patients were treated at the hospital and all have fully recovered and been discharged. None has tested positive again.

The second field hospital is also on standby, having released its last patient on May 15.

Since the outbreak started, Phuket has reported 227 confirmed Covid-19 cases. Of these, 224 patients recovered and 3 died.

With all patients recovered, Phuket closes its Covid-19 field hospital | News by The Thaiger

SOURCE: Nation Thailand

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Continue Reading

Road deaths

2 killed after truck slams Phuket power pole – VIDEO

The Thaiger

Published

on

2 killed after truck slams Phuket power pole – VIDEO | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Thai Rath

2 men are dead in Phuket after a truck slammed into a roadside power pole on the notorious Kata hill road, just out of Chalong yesterday. Police say the two men killed were a Thai and a Burmese national.

The deputy chief of Karon police says the accident occurred at about 4:50pm at the mouth of Soi Suksan 1 on Patak road – a windy section of road as it heads up the hill towards Kata Beach. The power pole fell across the road after being hit by the pick up truck, killing the man inside. He was identified as 31 year old Thanapon Prachit a native of Chaiyaphum province.

Another man, passing by on a motorbike, was seriously injured by the falling power pole. He was admitted to Chalong Hospital where but was pronounced dead. The passport found on him identified him as 28 year old Win Myo Hlaing from Myanmar.

The bodies of the victims were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital for an autopsy.

SOURCE: Bangkok Post

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Continue Reading

Road deaths

Two men die after truck plows into power pole in Phuket

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Two men die after truck plows into power pole in Phuket | The Thaiger
PHOTOS: Newshawk Phuket

A Thai and Burmese man were killed after a work truck collided with a power pole on Kata hill, southern Phuket yesterday afternoon. The deputy chief of Karon police reported that the incident happened near the turn off onto Soi Suksan 1, on the Chalong side of the hill.

The power pole crashed on top of the truck as it fell, killing 31 year old Thanapol Prachit from Chaiyaphum province.

The two bodies were transferred to Vachira Hospital and police are continuing their investigations.

SOURCE: Bangkok Post

Two men die after truck plows into power pole in Phuket | News by The Thaiger

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Continue Reading

Trending