Connect with us


Don’t pay money under the table, fight it in court – says Employment chief

Legacy Phuket Gazette



PHUKET: All foreigners who believe that they have been wrongfully arrested for breaching the conditions of their work permit must fight for their rights, said the chief of the Phuket Provincial Employment Office (PPEO).

“If the police insist on arresting you, let them do it. If they threaten to detain you, let them. You have the right to deny the charge in court. If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear,” PPEO chief Yaowapa Pibulpol told the Phuket Gazette last week.

“Do not pay any money ‘under the table’ if officers ask for it. This only encourages corruption.”

Ms Yaowapa was adamant that only genuine cases of foreigners working illegally would be upheld by the court.

“If you are not breaching the conditions of your work permit, Employment Office personnel will present themselves in court to explain to police [and the court] any ‘misunderstandings’ the officers may have had,” she said.

“Let the judge determine whether or not you are guilty. Many foreigners have successfully defended such charges from the police in the past.”

Ms Yaowapa confirmed that no penalties for people breaching the conditions of their work permit include deportation.

“The only people who should worry about being deported over working illegally are those caught working without being issued any kind of work permit. Doing so breaks immigration law, and immigration officers have the right to deport foreigners,” she said.

“Breaching work permit conditions incurs only fines. However, if you continue working after your work permit has expired – that’s a jailable offense.”

Even then, such a penalty can only be handed down by a judge, Ms Yaowapa added (story here).

Deputy Secretary-General of the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) Prayong Preeyachitt voiced his full support for Ms Yaowapa.

He even advised wrongly arrested foreigners to take counter-action.

“If police bring you in for questioning, detain you, then send your case to court – and the court finds you not guilty, you have the right to file complaint against those officers,” he said.

Foreigners acquitted by the court could file a complaint at the police station where the officer works, with the officer’s commanding officer, with the PACC or with the Damrongtham center (ombudsman’s office) at Provincial Hall.

Prapan Kanprasang, chief of the Damrongtham Center, assured that his office was willing to investigate claims of police harassment.

“Police have the right to question anyone about suspicious behavior, but they should not repeatedly bring in the same people for questioning about the same matter.

If the same officers are bringing in the same person for the same charge, then it is time to fight back, said the recently reinstated Chalong Police Superintendent Sirisak Wasasiri

“These kinds of officers should be prosecuted. It will deter others from doing the same,” Col Sirisak said.

“The worse thing to do is give them money. Doing so only encourages them, and they will be back for more.”

— Saran Mitrarat


Get more from The Thaiger

📱 Download our app on Android or iOS
👋 Have your say on our Thailand forums
🔔 Subscribe to our daily email newsletter
📺 Subscribe / Join YouTube for daily shows
👍 Like/Follow us on Facebook
🐦 FOLLOW us on Twitter
📷 FOLLOW us on Instagram


Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Follow Thaiger by email:

Thailand11 hours ago

Thailand News Today | Australian released from death row, Samui restaurant raided | September 20

News12 hours ago

Pathum Thani man allegedly lights building on fire, sticks around to laugh and smile

Thailand12 hours ago

Australian and American on Thai death row released from Thai death row, Supreme Court clears drug trafficking case

Welcome back to Thailand!

Thaiger is getting behind local businesses for the restart of tourism in Thailand - up to 50% discounts across all advertising packages!

World14 hours ago

Insect snacks hit Japanese vending machines

Thailand14 hours ago

The Return of ‘THE TIM’ | Thaiger Bites | September 20

Coronavirus (Covid-19)14 hours ago

Monday Covid Update: 12,709 new cases; provincial totals

Join the conversation on the Thaiger Talk forums today!
Thailand14 hours ago

Pattaya laundry shop reports ladies’ underwear thief is on the loose

World16 hours ago

Hanoi to ease Covid restrictions this week

Thailand16 hours ago

Morning Top Stories | No approved October re-opening, Phuket easing restrictions | September 20

Thailand16 hours ago

Government believes more suspects involved in theft from budget meant for the disabled

Thailand18 hours ago

Dual Pricing and Reduced tax on Alcohol | Good Morning Thailand | Episode 92

Thailand18 hours ago

Around 20 people arrested at Koh Samui restaurant for drinking alcohol, gambling, playing pool

Bangkok18 hours ago

Bangkok residents warned of flooding risk as torrential rain forecast this week

Thailand19 hours ago

Government seeks to regulate infectious waste disposal charges

World19 hours ago

Manny Pacquiao to run for president of the Philippines

Morning Top Stories Thailand | Police to end protests, Human Trafficking | September 14 | Thaiger
Thailand7 days ago

Morning Top Stories Thailand | Police to end protests, Human Trafficking | September 14

Thailand7 months ago

Thailand News Today | Thai Airways in rehab, All go for Songkran | March 4

Tourism7 months ago

Phuket’s nightlife. Yes, bars and clubs are still open | VIDEO

Phuket7 months ago

Thailand News Today | Covid passport talks, Thai Airways heads to court | March 2

Tourism7 months ago

Phuket Thai food treats you need to try | VIDEO

Thailand7 months ago

Thailand News Today | Bars, pubs and restaurants ‘sort of’ back to normal | Feb 23

Tourism7 months ago

In search of Cat & Dog Cafés in Phuket Town | VIDEO

Thailand8 months ago

Thailand News Today | Gambling crackdown, Seafood market to reopen, Vlogger challenge | Jan 21

Thailand8 months ago

Thailand News Today | Covid testing for visas, Business impact, Vaccine approval | January 19

Thailand8 months ago

Thailand News Today | Weekend Bangkok bombs, Thailand fires, Covid update | January 18

Thailand8 months ago

Thailand News Today | Stray car on runway, Indonesian quake, 300 baht tourist fee | January 15

Thailand8 months ago

Thailand News Today | Governor off respirator, sex-trafficking arrest, condo prices falling | January 14

Thailand8 months ago

Thailand News Today | Chinese vaccine, Thailand ‘drug hub’, Covid update | January 13

Thailand8 months ago

Thailand News Today | Bangkok may ease restrictions, Phuket bar curfew, Vaccine roll out | January 12

Thailand8 months ago

Thailand News Today | Covid latest, Cockfights closed down, Bryde’s Whale beached | January 11