Thailand

Quarantine period for international arrivals is now back to 14 days

Thaiger

Photo via Qui Hotel

Quarantine for those entering Thailand from overseas will now go back to the original 14 day period (which ends up being 15 to 16 days). The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration announced the quarantine extension this afternoon, saying those who obtained their Certificate of Entry prior to May 1, and arrive in Thailand before May 6, will still be able to quarantine under the shortened 10 day quarantine, or just 7 days if they are vaccinated against the coronavirus.

Even though the vast majority of new Covid-19 cases in Thailand are local transmissions rather than from international arrivals, the mutated strains of the virus reported in other countries still pose a risk, according to deputy spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Natapanu Nopakun, who gives the CCSA report in English.

“The variant strains in Asia and other countries still pose a risk.”

Those who stay at Alternative State Quarantine facilities will now need to stay in their rooms and cannot go to other areas of the hotel, as they had been allowed to in the past. Travellers will also undergo 3 Covid-19 tests during their stay.

“These measures are meant to reduce the risk of local transmission of the new variants.”

Earlier this month, when most of the cases were concentrated in Bangkok, primarily in the Thong Lor nightlife district, Thai health officials said the B117 variant of Covid-19 was linked to some of the clusters. The mutated strain is more contagious than the original.

All arrivals who hold a Certificate of Entry issued on or after May 1 are required to undergo the 14 day quarantine.

Quarantine period for international arrivals is now back to 14 days | News by Thaiger

Get more from The Thaiger

📱 Download our app on Android or iOS
👋 Have your say on our Thailand forum
🔔 Subscribe to our daily newsletter
📺 Subscribe / Join for daily shows
👍 Like/Follow us on Facebook
🐦 FOLLOW us on Twitter
📷 FOLLOW us on Instagram

image

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

ThaiTraveller

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Great! What about vaccinated travellers who arrive after 6th May?

Jitendra

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 6:17 pm

Does this mean India is now allowed back with 15 days q?

Geoff

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 6:20 pm

Why 15 or 16? They should make it 14 nights.

Andy W

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 6:23 pm

Zero data to show the 8 (and 11) night quarantine was inadequate…

Matt Miran

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 6:59 pm

Bye Bye LOS……. NOT HAPPENING!

Kcc

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 7:06 pm

Maybe we can get a strain that makes you feel ok, but when it goes away it leaves you feeling great with a happy ending. Instead calling it covid, we can call it something like, koh Chai chai.

Bang

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 7:49 pm

In every circus there comes the time of clowns.
    Thailand today.

TS

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 7:49 pm

not that any large numbers of tourists were coming anyway but is the grand phuket sandbox ‘scheme/model'(no q if vaccinated) now off the table?

Simon Small

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:04 pm

There was no possible justification for reducing it to 10 days in the first place.

It looks as if the CCSA may be back in control again – just as well.

Willem

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:07 pm

This definately kills all tourism. Goodbye to the plans for quarantine resorts, sanbox plans etc. Sad

zig

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Great..nobody coming here until 2025

david jones

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Such a shame that the quarantine has been increased again for us farlang especially when we have had 2 vacines in our home country . so basically thailand has closed its borders for the forseeable future again i understand but this will hurt many thai people with no income from the tourist sector

wawa

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:54 pm

So I obtained my coe before the 1 may and will arrive the 7 may, what should I do? ridiculous

Morgan F.

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Ridiculous. No science to show that fully vaccinated travelers pose a transmission risk. No vaccinated visitor would accept 15 days trapped in a hotel. Transmission is still low relative to where other countries were.

Mister Stretch

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 9:25 pm

Yes, because so many of our cases recently have come from abroad.

I remember a day this week, more than 2,500 cases…5 international.

Yes, ramping up that expensive ASQ is going to solve the problem here.

James

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 9:38 pm

As soon as I read this, I canceled my trip to Thailand for this year. I imagine I won’t be the only one.

Paul gibson

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 9:54 pm

Bye bye thailand r.i.p

Alldar

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:04 pm

I wanted to come in June. Not gonna happen now. Need to find some alternative destionation in SEA.

EdwardV

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Doesn’t matter since no one is coming anyway. Wonder how those dozen or so Germans who flew into Phuket are doing? Honestly at this point, I’m pretty much giving up on Thailand for a September trip. Going to switch to Europe instead. Hopefully I can visit the LOS this winter instead.

Leo Z

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 11:27 pm

The EU is opening its borders for the summer to vaccinated N. Americans (zero quarantine, one test I believe). Given that travel plans need to be made at least 1-2 months in advance, Thailand basically just lost the summer travel season already, not just because of the quarantine, but also because of its outbreak.

And let’s face it, if they were testing in serious numbers (like Malaysia), the infected cases would be multiples of the published numbers.

With India off the radar for now, Thailand’s only hope for the summer was China, but they are vaccinating their own with a less than great vaccine (even according to the Chinese CDC), plus it requires full hotel quarantine for citizens coming back.

The travel season for Thailand got pushed back to September-October at best.

Andy

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 11:40 pm

@Bang – ?

Andrew

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 11:42 pm

@James – cancel for the next one as well.

Jeff

Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Message: We don’t trust the vaccines or the tests before departing and upon arrival. But, please everyone accept the new vaccine passports we’re proud to roll out for our citizens to use to enter your countries. Sounding more like China everyday…there’s reasons why, billions of them.

Mister Stretch has it right.

Jeff

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 12:03 am

@Simon Small…it’s called confidence in the vaccines and testing upon arrival and before departure. On the contrary, there is very little evidence that Covid is being spread by foreigners arriving in Thailand. 7 days quarantine is even too long, especially for those who have been vaccinated.

Michael

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 12:05 am

And while people travel freely between Thailand, Cambodia and Myanmar taking Covid with them,

the Thai government decided to extend the Quarantine for farang to 15/16 days to stop importing new mutated strains of the virus.

Can someone explain the logic to me? Or is it just stupidity?

Jeff

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 12:07 am

@wawa…read again closely. “All arrivals who hold a Certificate of Entry issued on or after May 1 are required to undergo the 14 day quarantine”. If you received your COE BEFORE May 1, it would reason that you can still have the same quarantine arrangements as before.

Andy W

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 12:25 am

Marco

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 1:18 am

Simon Small

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 3:08 am

“@Simon Small…it’s called confidence in the vaccines and testing upon arrival and before departure”

@Jeff, I’ve no idea what you’re talking about.

What is called “confidence in the vaccines and testing upon arrival and before departure”?

That question aside, until there is some way of verifying whether arrivals have been vaccinated or not any vaccine passports or certificates are next to useless.

The UK border controls report finding over 100 forged vaccination certificates EVERY DAY only from spelling mistakes, with no means of verification, and Canada has long reported similar issues.

Unless they can be verified any vaccination documents are useless.

“@wawa…read again closely …”

I suggest you’re the one who needs to “read again closely”, @Jeff, as you’ve apparently missed “and arrive in Thailand before May 6”.

Frank

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 3:15 am

Jeff and wawa,

If you received your COE before May 1, but are arriving in Thailand AFTER May 6, you will have to do the 16 day quarantine. Check for yourself.

Simon Small

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 3:21 am

“@Simon Small – I’d be interested to know if they picked up any positive tests on day 12 that hadn’t been picked up on day 6. I haven’t heard of any but if they have then you may be correct, but if not then you’re not.”

I can’t help you there, @Andy W, but AFAIK the WHO, all the experts, and every country in the world put the incubation period at 14 days, not 10 – including Thailand.

If that’s not the case, then why do countries that have quarantine insist on 14 days, not 10, as did Thailand for over a year and it always has for domestic cases?

I could, of course, be “wrong”, but if I am then at least I’ve got plenty of company as the WHO and all the experts, etc, also all put the incubation period at 14 days.

Simon Small

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 3:25 am

“they released me the coe before May 1st but I arrive on May 7th what should I do?”

I’d suggest asking your Thai embassy, @Marco, instead of the “experts” here … and, if you can’t arrive a day earlier, be prepared for a fortnight in ASQ.

Frank

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:45 am

@Marco – Cancel the trip

Ian Butler

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 5:11 am

Talk about shooting yourself in the head omg thailand your government is killing you what idiots they are I’m speechless

David

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 6:28 am

Today another acquaintance from Thailand wrote to me desperately asking for money to eat, this is the third acquaintance who has done it in 1 month, someone barely knew her from seeing her 1 day 2 years ago in Phuket. government of thailand: are you aware of the ruin that you are going to bring to your population with these anti-tourist laws with quarantines of 15 days?

Buster

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 6:46 am

WTF ? Because I’m scheduled to arrive 2 day later than May 6.?…I already paid for my flight, Hotel, Insurance…all the paper work and time I spent researching this visit for my Fathers 100-day cremation ceremony. …WHAT A WASTE!

Daffy Duck

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 7:31 am

@wawa – I understand that if you arrive at the airport in Thailand post 4pm 06 May 2021 you MUST do the 14/15 nights quarantine ASQ – if you have booked 7/10 days ASQ, you need to contact your hotel ASQ ASAP as you may be either declined enry or face a whopping extra charge as you would be in no position to negotite the cost. It doesnt matter if you have had the 2 shots vaccination or not.

Rasputin

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 7:37 am

@Jeff – Very few Thai tourists come to the UK, at the moment they don’t need to quarantine as far as I am aware, but it may have been changed as a result of the recent new outbreak

Ted

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 1:35 pm

My hart goes out to your all that [for whatever reason] is waiting to come back to Thailand. As I live in Thailand, I will have another year or so to enjoy 5* hotels for the pre-covid price of what a 2-3* hotels and resorts used to cost. All this while waiting to see my family again, especially my siblings kids that is growing older day by day.

TS

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 1:51 pm

seems the virus and general DoLittle & co. have sucked most of the fun out of this place. If for some reason you wanna do hours of thai consulate paperwork then deal with on and off again quarantine, curfews and lockdowns here, come join the party!

Rasputin

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:00 pm

@David – A more pertinent question would be: are YOU aware that you are probably the target of a long practised con trick in these parts?

Rasputin

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:23 pm

@James – Good move, I didn’t even bother to make any plans for this year, and won’t be making any plans until I consider it safe to travel here and back home without hindrance or the need to jump through the many hoops that are currently require. I think that will probably be a long time in coming.

Simon Small

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm

“… all the paper work and time I spent researching this visit for my Fathers 100-day cremation ceremony. …WHAT A WASTE!”

Apart from the actual funerals, @Buster, anyone organising any such tamboons has been asked to cancel them, and temples have been asked not to encourage them as monks could act unwittingly as super spreaders.

Bummer …

Meem

Friday, April 30, 2021 at 8:13 pm

It makes no sense. There is no reason to stretch the ASQ period .. like if there is any difference between 10 or 15 days. If you dont have covid, youre not magically gonna get Covid during your 4 days extra.

Joe Nyomozo

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:06 am

I just let my Certificate of Entry (10 day quaranteen) run out because the Washington D.C., Thai Consulate sat on my visa application for 3 weeks electronic/2 weeks physical application. The woman in the visa section NEVER contacted me either by email or by phone. After a dozen attempts over 2 weeks (by email and phone) someone finally answered the phone 6 days after my departure. I was promised a phone call in 10 minutes. 35 minutes later a woman called. Fairly poor english. Kept repeating “you did not send bar code, you did not send barcode”. When asked “what bar code” she just kept repeating the same thing. After the phone call I figured out that she was talking about the Embassy Appointment letter which apparently have to mail in even though it is in your ON LINE Visa Application. Also as it turns out they don’t accept Local Police Criminal Background checks only State and Federal! So 24 dollars later I have one but she send my pasport back without a visa but of course they kept the “non refundabe” visa fee! Yes I asked for my passport back but I am glad now that I didn’t go! So why am I telling you this? If you an American forget applying for Thai visa. Use the visa exception avenue and etend in country (which I think is possible). The Royal Thay Embassy visa section is LESS THAN EAGER to help you, which is strange considering you spend ton of money in Thailand by buying health insurance, covid hotel and pay visa fees. ALL OF WHICHARE NON REFUNDABLE! Make one not want to go to Thailand which may be the “Land of Smiles” but certainly is not the “Land of helpful government employees!” 14 day quaranteen is just another Government knee jerk reaction! So typical!

Joe Nyomozo

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:07 am

@ThaiTraveller – I am afraid you will pay more! Thailand is about money so youy will pay for the 14 day hotel stay!

Joe Nyomozo

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:09 am

Joe Nyomozo

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:10 am

@TS – Whomever came up with that experiment is an idiot!

Joe Nyomozo

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:12 am

@david jones – Wake up! It is ALL about makingmore money! Putting money in the hotel’s pocket, required healthinsurance and Visa fees ALL of which are NON refundable! Greatest Thai scheme ever! But who can blame them! It is like takingcandy away from the baby! Not hard! If you are a Fereng and have money and set on going to visit Thailandnow PAY THROUGHTHE NOSE! No apologies!

Joe Nyomozo

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:14 am

@Morgan F. – Governments don’t need stinking science! They just take your money any way they can! NON REFUNDABLE hotels, non refundable health insurance and non refundable visa fees! They have to make money some way! And if you are a fereng in country you still get milked, ha, ha!

Joe Nyomozo

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:16 am

@Paul gibson – I never even made it there and I am ready to say “good bye”! Unbelivebly unaccomodating, aloof and even rude Visa section at the Washington DC Consulate! It was a shock! Never expected rude Thai government officials…not her in America anyway! Boy was I wrong!

Joe Nyomozo

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:18 am

@Meem – You would think but these are the same people that came up withthe Phuket scheme too! So what do you expect!?

Simon Small

Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 4:16 pm

“@Simon Small – Of course there was! If you fully vaccinated your chances of getting infected or transmitting it is greatly reduced!”

The reduction from 14 days to 10 was for those NOT vaccinated, @Joe Nyomozo, NOT for those “fully vaccinated” which I didn’t comment on.

Given that sort of attention to detail and your evident inability to comply with / understand simple instructions from the Embassy it’s no surprise your visa application was rejected.

Jim

Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 1:36 pm

@Simon Small – UK border force finds 100 fake PCR tests a day from spelling mistakes, not forged vaccination certificates. I think you’re confused.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login