Coronavirus (Covid-19)

13 new Covid-19 cases in quarantine

13 new Covid-19 cases were detected in quarantine including 4 Thai students, according to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. The total number of confirmed Covid-19 cases is at 3,759 with 3,561 recoveries and 59 deaths. 139 people are currently receiving medical treatment for the coronavirus.

  • A 49 year old Frenchman travelling from France tested positive for Covid-19 on Monday, 3 days after he arrived in Thailand at a quarantine hotel in Bangkok.
  • 2 Thai monks, ages 28 and 30, travelling from the United Kingdom tested positive for Covid-19 upon arrival on Monday. One had a fever with symptoms of a cough and runny nose.
  • A 62 year old Thai man travelling from the United States, with a layover in Hong Kong, tested positive for Covid-19. He arrived in Thailand on October 15 and tested positive 11 days later at a quarantine hotel in Bangkok.
  • A 35 year old Thai man travelling from Bangladesh tested positive for Covid-19. He arrived on October 16 and tested positive 10 days later at a quarantine hotel in Bangkok.
  • 4 Thai students travelling from Jordan tested positive for Covid-19. They returned to Thailand on October 21 and tested positive 5 days later at a quarantine hotel in Chon Buri. The students, ages 21, 23, 25 and 30, showed no symptoms.
  • 2 Thai women, ages 22 and 40, travelling from the United Arab Emirates tested positive for Covid-19. They arrived last Friday and tested positive on Monday.
  • A 46 year old Thai woman travelling from Russia tested positive for Covid-19 upon arrival on Monday.
  • A 51 year old Thai woman travelling from Germany tested positive for Covid-19 while at a quarantine facility in Chon Buri.

13 new Covid-19 cases in quarantine | News by Thaiger

SOURCES: Bangkok Post | Nation Thailand

Catch up with the latest daily “Thailand News Today” here on The Thaiger.

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

2 Comments

2 Comments

    1. Two reasons.

      i) Thais don’t need to be tested, which makes little sense apart from ensuring that they’re allowed on the plane which is understandable but not exactly “fair” or considerate, so the majority are returning Thais.

      ii) The tests are only 93 to 97% effective, so there will be false readings (positive and negative). Quarantine and repeated testing minimises the chances of them getting through the system (by a factor of around a thousand with a 3% failure rate and three tests) but the possibilities still there.

Leave a Reply

Caitlin Ashworth

Caitlin Ashworth is a writer from the United States who has lived in Thailand since 2018. She graduated from the University of South Florida St. Petersburg with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and media studies in 2016. She was a reporter for the Daily Hampshire Gazette In Massachusetts. She also interned at the Richmond Times-Dispatch in Virginia and Sarasota Herald-Tribune in Florida.

2 Comments

    1. Two reasons.

      i) Thais don’t need to be tested, which makes little sense apart from ensuring that they’re allowed on the plane which is understandable but not exactly “fair” or considerate, so the majority are returning Thais.

      ii) The tests are only 93 to 97% effective, so there will be false readings (positive and negative). Quarantine and repeated testing minimises the chances of them getting through the system (by a factor of around a thousand with a 3% failure rate and three tests) but the possibilities still there.

Leave a Reply