Sydictive Party: One night without Paris
PHUKET: Global celebrity Paris Hilton will not be attending the three-day New Year beach party originally slated to be held on Surin Beach from December 30 to sunrise on January 1.
The news of Ms Hilton’s imminent no-show at the event came in an email from her lawyer sent to the Phuket Gazette clarifying that Ms Hilton’s name was not to be used in any promotion of the event other than the event’s launch in Bangkok on October 22.
The glamor-gilded launch was covered and broadcast across the world by global media agencies.
However, Glenn “GG” Gulino, Esq. of g2 entertainment wrote in his email, “Your rights to use her name ended weeks ago and since you cancelled her NYE appearance you cannot use her name. Thank you.”
However, as the Phuket Gazette at no time invited or cancelled Ms Hilton’s attendance to the party, Gazette editors were left to believe the email was intended to be sent to the party organizers. To date, Mr Gulino and party organizers Sydictive Element, despite many attempts by the Gazette to clarify the situation, have yet to confirm this.
While the Paris Hilton mystery unravelled, Sydictive Element had also yet to respond to reports that the beach party will be moved to Phuket’s premier party town, Patong.
At last report, Sydictive Element had been granted approval by local authorities to hold the party at Surin Beach – after weeks of strong opposition from some local residents and businesses, but a mixed response from others.
Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukban told the Gazette on Wednesday, “The party organizer had a talk with Phuket Vice Governor Sommai Prijasilpa yesterday [December 18] about moving the party from Surin Beach to Patong Beach.
“I have no idea right now if it is going to be held in Patong because we still have to discuss with other local organizations and agencies, such as the police, and we have to talk this over with local beach vendors and other operators who would be affected by the party,” he said.
Mr Chairat also explained that Patong Municipality did not have enough budget to quickly provide all the ancillary services required by such a large-scale event, which was touted at the party’s launch in October as expected to attract up to 50,000 revellers.
“If the party is going to be held in Patong, the organizer has to deal with issues such as security, cleanliness and other problems that might arise, all by themselves,” Mr Chairat said.
Echoing Patong Mayor Pian Keesin’s concerns voiced publicly on Tuesday, Mr Chairat raised the issue that Patong Municipality regulates public areas.
“Usually, when we arrange concerts or performances, they must be free of charge. So how can you set up a restricted area and charge people for entry when you are using public land? How can you stop people from entering the beach when the beach is public?” he asked.
“Just imagine the idea of closing Patong Beach. I feel it would be very difficult and I think it is a very ‘big’ idea,” Mr Chairat added.
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.