Connect with us

Phuket

New prison construction to begin next month

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

New prison construction to begin next month | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHUKET: Construction of the long-awaited Phuket Provincial Prison is set to break ground next month, the prison chief confirmed to the Phuket Gazette today.

The new prison will relieve some of the pressure on the current facility, which has a capacity of 800 prisoners but currently detains more than 3,000.

“The new facility will be a top-of-the-line design and have more modern security measures. It will have a capacity of 3,000 inmates,” said Phuket Provincial Prison Chief Pichit Wanajit.

“However, I believe the prison will be able to detain up to 6,000 inmates. We do not want to have that many prisoners there, of course, but we do want to be prepared.”

Mr Pichit said that construction on the new facility will be completed in 2018.

“The new prison will house only male inmates. The current prison will then detain only female inmates,” he explained.

“We think it is better to separate the men and women. This will make for better living conditions for everyone, and the women will have more room to carry on with their various activities, such as massage and baking classes.

“Part of the current facility might even be turned into a museum, as it is more than 100 years old.”

The plan for a new prison was first revealed to the public in August 2012 when Justice Minister Pracha Promnok reviewed plans to close the 115-year-old and heavily overcrowded provincial prison in Phuket Town and establish a 3,000-person capacity prison near the Bang Jo detention center in Srisoonthorn (story here).

In September last year, former Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut announced a budget of 1.1 billion baht had been approved to build the new facility (story here).

However, Mr Pichit confirmed today that the budget had been slashed to 796 million baht.

The prison, to be built on 108 rai of government land in Srisoonthorn, is expected to be the best in the country (story here).

— Chutharat Plerin

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending