PHUKET: A speedboat driver who crashed into a fishing trawler, killing two Korean tourists last year, has been sentenced to two years’ imprisonment.
“Surat Matosot was charged for reckless driving causing death and damage to property. He has been sentenced to two years in prison, with no option for the sentence to be suspended,” Maj Sopon Khongthong of the Krabi Police told the Phuket Gazette today.
Mr Surat was sentenced on March 26, 2015.
The fatal accident occurred on October 19, 2014, when The Seastar speedboat Mr Surat was driving plowed into the trawler, leaving two dead and 35 injured (story here). The accident is seen by many as the catalyst for the recent strict enforcement of life-jacket policies for all tour boats leaving from and arriving in Phuket.
After his arrest, Mr Surat attempted to blame a plastic bag for the accident (story here).
“About 20 minutes after we departed from Maya Bay [at Koh Phi Phi] the sky got very dark and a black plastic bag flew under my seat. I was worried it would fly into the tourists, so I decided to pick it up,” Mr Surat told police.
“I lost control and crashed into the boat.”
— Chutharat Plerin
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.