Connect with us

Phuket

Forestry and Wildlife officers on Koh Lanta seize 100 rai of violated land

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Forestry and Wildlife officers on Koh Lanta seize 100 rai of violated land | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

KRABI: Department of Forestry and allied officials yesterday seized about 100 rai of Koh Lanta land that had been encroached upon by parties they characterized as ‘too powerful, unfazed by law and willing to threaten authorities with death’.

More than 30 officials from several departments participated in the take-back, led by Wildlife Conservation Department head Sawat Suksiri.

“Locals reported to us that trees were burned and chopped down. They were replaced by oil palms. They have been doing this progressively for at least 2-3 years, based on the age of the palms they planted,” said Mr Sawat.

“Initially, we learned that one of the suspects was a Mr Aumak Kaowdaeng. However, during our checks, Mr Aumak’s relatives showed up and claimed that this land belonged to his family members, not to him personally. Nevertheless, he was charged with deforestation and encroachment upon land in a reserved forest,” said Mr Sawat.

“This place has been invaded continuously and the suspect was not frightened in the least of the law. He burned down hundreds of trees for his own benefit, starting in 2013. We have tried to prosecute over this but Mr Aumak is an influential person in the area. Recently, my team and I were threatened with death for reporting the issue to the police,” he added.

Mr Aumak did not show up or send a representative yesterday, and his relatives continue to claim that the land is theirs, not his.

“We’ve just seized the land for now. If they have documents to prove that it’s theirs, they should just take those documents to the court,” said Mr Sawat.

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending