Connect with us

Phuket

Experts enter burned-out ammo dump

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Experts enter burned-out ammo dump | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

KORAT (AFP): Thai army experts today entered the smoking ruins of a badly damaged ammunition dump to search for victims of yesterday’s massive explosions that are thought to have killed at least 13 people and injured 80. The warehouse complex in Pak Chong District was torn apart yesterday when a truck overturned, setting off a deadly chain reaction that engulfed a large part of the complex. Blasts rocked the area for the entire day and into the night, shaking the ground for kilometers around and sending fireballs and plumes of black smoke high into the sky. Local Mayor Komkrit Limpanyalert said some 28 army ordnance experts were able to enter the ammunition store after the explosions died down during the night and it was decided that the site was relatively safe. “It’s likely that it will take several hours before we know how many soldiers died at the blast site,” he said, adding that the army officers would also attempt to recover victims’ bodies. Among the dead were said to be 12 soldiers from the complex, as well as a 70-year-old resident of a nearby village who suffered a heart attack during the explosions. Deputy Public Health Minister Surapong Suebwonglee said, after an inspection of two local hospitals, that 80 people had been injured, and that seven were in a serious condition. Army Commander Gen Surayud Chulanont yesterday attributed the blast to mishandling of ageing and unstable weapons and ammunition, which had been seized from the area along the Cambodian border, and which had been brought to Pak Chong for destruction. He said that the army would set up a inquiry to examine the cause of the blast, which destroyed seven of the 45 warehouses in the complex. Some of the tens of thousands of people who fled their homes at the height of the explosions began trickling back today to check on the damage, but many were still fearful of more blasts. Euem Donpadoor, a 49-year-old food vendor, said, “I’m afraid. I don’t believe that the bombs are gone from this area. I don’t think this area is safe.” Returning villagers were warned to cover their faces with damp cloths against the fumes that drifted over the region, and not to drink from local waterways, which might be contaminated. The Public Welfare Department has announced that it will pay 12,000 baht compensation for each death, with an additional 25,000 baht if the victim was the head of a family. In addition, residents whose homes were destroyed will be paid 25,000 baht, while evacuated villagers will be paid 2,000 baht for the inconvenience.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading

Trending