Electrical malfunction believed to be cause of Patong nightclub fire

PHUKET: The cause of a fire at ‘Seduction’ discotheque on Soi Bangla, Phuket’s infamous party street, is believed to be an electrical malfunction in a ceiling fan.

The fire started at about 7:45pm on Saturday.

Six firetrucks arrived at the scene, with firefighters working for at least two hours to calm the flames that took over and extensively damaged the second and third floor of the four-storey building.

Luckily, firefighters were able to control the blaze from spreading to the fourth floor.

Related news

An employee named Prakarn Suwee was treated for smoke inhalation, but all guests and staff members were safely evacuated and no other injuries were reported.

A team was set-up to look into the cause of the fire, but no details about the extent of the damage have been made available yet.

“We investigated the damaged areas and also watched CCTV footage, which indicated that a ceiling fan on the third floor stopped working and started sparking. The sparks quickly developed into a full-fledged fire,” Lt Col Somsak Thongkleang of Patong Police told the Phuket Gazette.

Police are continuing their investigation to uncover further details.

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Phuket News

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply