Blaze blackens Jammin’ Pub

PHUKET CITY: Fire broke out in the popular Jammin’ nightclub early this morning, causing damage estimated at between 2 million and 3 million baht. No one was hurt in the blaze.

Co-owner Mel Purdue told the Gazette this afternoon, “It would appear not to have done too much structural damage. Unfortunately it was the DJ pit, and it looks like [the cause] was faulty wiring.

“It’s [caused] about 2 to 3 million baht’s worth of damage, but we can’t ascertain [exactly how much] yet because we’re waiting for the insurance assessors to come and have a look.”

He explained that the fire was noticed about 6 am by staff who live next door, and that the fire brigade had extinguished the blaze by 8 am.

Mr Purdue and his wife took over the popular city nightspot in October, and spent more than 1 million baht on upgrading the decor and sound system.

The club was experiencing a resurgence in popularity. “Last night we were packed with about 300 people, ” he said.

Mr Purdue added that he expected the club to reopen “in about a month, but hopefully sooner”.

Phuket News
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply