Connect with us

Pattaya

Rayong grandmother gets back 117,000 baht in termite-damaged banknotes

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published 

 on 

Rayong grandmother gets back 117,000 baht in termite-damaged banknotes | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

Good fortune has smiled on a Rayong grandmother after she got back 117,000 baht in Thai banknotes that had been partially eaten by termites from police, a week after she dumped them in a garbage bin.

83 year old Chaluay Saetiaw was taken by her grandson, 49 year old Wasant Boon-anukul, to Mueang Rayong police station to retrieve the damaged banknotes at 10am this morning.

Pol Lt-Colonel Yutthachai Phorung, inspector at the station, handed the cash back to the woman. Even better, the assistant manager of the Bank of Thailand’s Rayong branch, offered to exchange the damaged notes for new ones for the elderly lady.

However, her grandson declined the offer, saying he would use the services of the Kasikorn bank branch near their home in order to replace the notes.

The banknotes were found in a garbage bin in front of Thessaban 1 Market in Mueang district on July 26 by Atchara Kanokpatcharakul, who handed the cash in to the police.

Rayong grandmother gets back 117,000 baht in termite-damaged banknotes | News by The Thaiger

Khan Chaluay says she had been keeping 170,000 baht from lottery-ticket sales in a wooden cabinet at home. On July 24 she checked the cabinet and found that it was partially eaten away by termites, which had also eaten through some of the banknotes.

She then pulled out around 60,000 baht worth of the less damaged notes and exchanged them at the local Kasikiorn branch, but had dumped the rest, thinking they were too damaged. However, to her relief, she was later contacted by police, who informed her that the damaged money had been turned in and could be exchanged for new notes.

Suggest she buys a lottery ticket!

SOURCE: The Nation

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Pattaya. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Thailand's fastest growing portal for news and information, in association with The Nation.

Pattaya

Pattaya City council pushes for action against abandoned Waterfront condo project

The Thaiger

Published

on

Pattaya City council pushes for action against abandoned Waterfront condo project | The Thaiger

The Pattaya City Council is pushing for action, any action, against the abandoned 53 story Waterfront Suites and Residence luxury condo after it has been left as an eyesore for many years overlooking the Bali Hai Pier. The Waterfront Suites and Residence is a half-finished condo project that was stalled in 2014 after safety inspectors discovered that the building’s fire escapes and elevator systems designs varied from the already approved construction designs.

Thai Engineering, however, allegedly ignored the stop-work order and continued, but the company says it was not informed from the developers to stop. The project was originally launched and proposed back in 2004.

In July, 2014, Pattaya city officials halted construction of the condo and hotel project following an internet firestorm after photos showing the tower obstructing a “classic” Pattaya viewpoint. The majority of comments were negative, claiming the project ruined the viewpoint hill and the area around Bali Hai pier and was an “eyesore”. The mayor at the time, Itthiphol Kuneplome spoke up for the project and said that it had continually followed correct and fully transparent legal processes.

Then the condo’s Israeli-owned Bali Hai Company, due to complaints about the condo’s obstruction of the natural landscape and land permit issues, filed a petition with the Central Bankruptcy Court in Bangkok for debt restructuring which subsequently failed as the company went bankrupt.

The Pattaya Court has ordered for the condo to be legitimately demolished but due to legal proceedings against the company dragging along, the condo continues to sit abandoned. Furthermore, Pattaya City authorities were rejected by the departments that would carry out the demolition citing that the authorities were not specialised in estimating the cost of such a demolition. Now the authorities are still trying to get estimates from 11 different companies to outsource the demolition which is contributing to the delay.

But the Pattaya City Council chairman says that law firms should take control and use photographs and other documents before collecting the evidence to speed up the process. Regardless, the demolition of the condo is in limbo as pending lawsuits are preventing it from moving forward.

SOURCE: The Pattaya News

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.
Continue Reading

Pattaya

Elderly Dutch man’s body found floating near Pattaya Beach

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Elderly Dutch man’s body found floating near Pattaya Beach | The Thaiger

An elderly Dutch man’s body has been found floating near a Pattaya beach in South Pattaya after telling his wife he was going to go swimming. The 74 year old man’s wife Ms. Sukjai Bungutum, a 41 year old Thai woman, was found by rescue workers crying near his body.

“My husband told me he was going to go swimming. He had not returned after many hours. I was worried as he had personal health issues after a recent accident. I called Pattaya police for help until I was informed that his body was found.”

Rescue workers say they found the man’s body yesterday evening at 7pm. They say his body was face down in the water and there appeared to be no signs of a struggle or of being in distress, but was wearing only underwear.

The Dutch man’s name is being withheld, according to The Pattaya News, pending the notification of his embassy. Police say an autopsy will be conducted to determine the man’s exact cause of death.

SOURCE: The Pattaya News

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.
Continue Reading

Pattaya

Pattaya men allegedly posed as police officers, extorted 50,000 baht from a woman

Caitlin Ashworth

Published

on

Pattaya men allegedly posed as police officers, extorted 50,000 baht from a woman | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Line Today

A group of 4 men in Pattaya allegedly posed as police officers and extorted 50,000 baht from a woman. The 20 year old woman says the men claiming to be police officers raided her condominium and a friend visiting had drugs in his possession.

In the report filed with Pattaya City Police, the woman says the men asked both her and her friend for a bribe of 25,000 baht each. If they didn’t pay up, the men said they would arrest them on drug charges, according to the complaint. The woman says she gave the men 50,000 baht.

The men who allegedly posed as police officers were not in uniform and did not show any identification or badges, the woman says. After giving it some thought, the woman became suspicious and decided to file a complaint with police. Police are still investigating.

SOURCE: Pattaya News

Catch up with the latest daily “Thailand News Today” here on The Thaiger.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.
Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending