Connect with us

Other News

Deep throat dentistry

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Deep throat dentistry | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

BANGKOK: A 19-year-old student spent three agonizing days with a toothbrush lodged in her stomach – after she accidentally swallowed it and nobody would believe her. The student, whose name and address were not reported, felt an itch in her throat on the evening of December 5. Rather than visit the hospital, she decided to use her standard-sized Colgate-brand toothbrush to scratch away the irritation. Unfortunately, she lost her grip and started choking as the toothbrush got caught in her throat, blocking her air supply. Desperate for oxygen, she tilted her head back and swallowed hard. It worked: the toothbrush slid down her esophagus and she was able to breathe again. But now she had a different problem – a toothbrush in her stomach. Frightened, she told her parents and anybody else who would listen, but nobody believed her. After all, who had ever heard of a person swallowing a toothbrush? The poor girl’s credibility sank further still when an abdominal X-ray taken at a local hospital did not show the presence of any foreign bodies. She was sent home. Not surprisingly, she started experiencing pain in her stomach and even in her left shoulder. The pain was there whether she was sitting or standing, awake or asleep – and it only got worse when she tried to eat, she said. Seeing his daughter in agony, the girl’s father took her to Payathai 3 Hospital in Bangkok on December 8. This time the X-ray revealed the presence of the toothbrush, the bottom of which sitting at the entrance to the large intestine. An emergency endoscopy was performed, surgeon Worawit Kowitwarangkul skillfully snaring the toothbrush with a length of thread fitted to the endoscope’s head. He then pulled the offending implement back up through the girl’s gullet and out of her mouth. She was released soon afterward and said she didn’t experience any further pain. Dr Worawit said that it was the first case of a swallowed toothbrush he or anyone at the hospital had ever heard of. “This is a topic that warrants further study,” he said. “Usually when we remove foreign bodies from the stomach, they are smaller objects, such as coins and nails and things of that sort.” Dentist Suta Jearramaneesopon, Director of the Ministry of Public Health’s Dentistry Department, said that under normal conditions there was little chance a toothbrush would accidentally find its way deep into the digestive tract. “Normally the bend in the throat will prevent a toothbrush from going down. The only way is if the head is tilted right back, and even then the gag reflex will usually kick in and prevent any foreign objects from going down,” she said. She warned the public to consult a doctor if they experience throat discomfort. While not recommending the practice of using a toothbrush to scratch one’s throat, she had a few words of advice to those who insist on dong so. “Try tying a small thread through the eye at the end of the toothbrush – this way you can pull it back up if it accidentally slips down your throat,” she said. Strange as the story is, it is not without precedent. In October, an Indian man had to undergo emergency surgery to remove a 7-inch toothbrush from his stomach after he accidentally swallowed it while “vigorously brushing his tongue”. Unfortunately for him, the toothbrush was too large to remove by endoscopy.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Thailand

Divers believe they have found a 77 year old wrecked US Navy submarine by Phuket

The Thaiger

Published

on

Divers believe they have found a 77 year old wrecked US Navy submarine by Phuket | The Thaiger

Divers in the Strait of Malacca have reportedly found what they believe to be a 77 year old US Navy wrecked submarine in what is seemingly the concluding piece in a tale from World War II. The divers are currently awaiting confirmation of the finding from the United States Naval History and Heritage Command for verification after sending photos and other evidence to be reviewed. Over a five month time period, the divers gathered evidence over six separate dives to substantiate their claims that the shipwrecked submarine is that of the USS Grenadier, one of the 52 American submarines lost […]

Continue Reading

News Desk

Mother, daughter run over by pickup truck in Pathum Thani

Jack Burton

Published

on

Mother, daughter run over by pickup truck in Pathum Thani | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Daily News

A mother and daughter were run over today by a pickup truck carrying furniture reversing down a busy road in Pathum Thani, just north of Bangkok. The shocking incident was caught on surveillance footage. The pair had stepped into the road and didn’t notice the truck creeping up on them from behind. Fortunately, both mother and child survived. Poh Teck Tung Rescue Foundation told the Daily News they were taken to hospital with leg and rib injuries. Comments, criticisms and shares have been many on Thai social media. Most blame the pickup driver, but others say the mother and daughter […]

Continue Reading

Other News

Huge monitor lizard pulled from Si Racha car

Jack Burton

Published

on

Huge monitor lizard pulled from Si Racha car | The Thaiger
PHOTOS: The Pattaya News

A woman in Chon Buri’s Si Racha district got a big surprise when she found a huge water monitor lizard in her home and called rescue workers in a panic. The lizard, over 2 metres long and coloured gold and silver, had wedged itself behind a refrigerator in the home of the woman, who was not named. Workers from a local rescue association arrived at the home in Village 6 in the Bowin Subdistrict, but the lizard managed to evade them and hid in the engine space of a nearby vehicle. Rescue workers and local residents had to remove some […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending