ATM gives hot cash: Staff extinguish fiery situation in Pattaya mall

Picture courtesy of Guido Jansen from

An ATM caught fire inside a shopping mall in Pattaya today, causing a brief moment of panic among the staff. Fortunately, quick-thinking employees managed to control the blaze using fire extinguishers before it could spread further.

The incident occurred at the Lotus’s Pattaya South Mall in Nong Prue, Bang Lamung District, Chon Buri Province. The Pattaya City Fire Department received the alert and dispatched fire trucks to the scene. Upon arrival, they found that the mall staff had already used more than ten fire extinguishers to douse the flames, effectively containing the situation before the fire department’s arrival.

According to initial investigations, the fire originated from a hot and cold water dispenser situated in the area managed by Siam Commercial Bank within the mall. It is believed that an electrical short circuit in the dispenser caused sparks, which then ignited the ATM. The alert staff members sprang into action, using the readily available fire extinguishers to subdue the flames.

No injuries or fatalities were reported as a result of the incident. The mall was closed to customers at the time, which likely contributed to the absence of any casualties. The bank’s management has been notified and will conduct a further investigation to ensure such incidents do not recur.

Related news

The quick response of the mall staff was crucial in preventing what could have been a much more severe situation as said a spokesperson for the Pattaya City Fire Department. The spokesperson added that the use of multiple fire extinguishers was instrumental in controlling the fire until the fire department arrived.

The fire department has commended the mall employees for their swift and effective action. This incident underscores the importance of having functioning fire safety equipment and trained personnel ready to respond to emergencies.

Electrical appliances

Additionally, the incident has prompted an immediate review of electrical appliances and safety protocols within the mall to prevent similar occurrences in the future. A mall management team representative made known he is coordinating with the Siam Commercial Bank to carry out a thorough inspection and ensure all safety measures are up to standard.

“We are grateful for the prompt action taken by our staff, which ensured the safety of everyone in the mall.”

They emphasised that the safety of their customers and employees is their top priority, and steps are being taken to reinforce this commitment.

The event has also highlighted the significance of routine maintenance and inspection of electrical devices to avoid such hazards. Electrical short circuits are a common cause of fires, and regular checks can help identify potential risks before they result in dangerous situations.

The emergency fire services urged other commercial establishments to review their fire safety measures and ensure that all staff members are well-trained in emergency response procedures, reported Khaosod.

Thailand News

Sugandhi Batra

Embarking on her journey in content writing, Sugandhi Batra brings a fresh perspective and an eagerness to explore new horizons. Her love for words and her versatile approach facilitates the creation of engaging content across various fields.

Related Articles