Connect with us

Krabi

Attack of the macaques – Krabi’s monkeys invade school

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Attack of the macaques – Krabi’s monkeys invade school | The Thaiger

PHOTOS: Srisuda Yongkit

More than 20 long-tailed macaques raided a vocational college in Krabi’s Klong Thom district on this morning, apparently in search of food.

The monkeys are said to have come down from the hills behind an army base in the district and searched through the garbage bins.

But not content with that, they also ransacked teachers’ rooms and classrooms and caused damage to the school.

The monkeys were apparently not afraid of the teachers and threatened anyone approaching them.

Chinachipa Dungsuksai, head of accounts at the college, said the monkeys raided the building for three days running looking for food, sparking fears they would injure someone.

Suwat Suksri, head of Thung Thalae Wildlife Sanctuary, said officers are trying to lure the monkeys with fruit to cages, which might take a few days.

Suwat said drought has caused food scarcity in the forests, forcing the monkeys to look elsewhere for food.

Attack of the macaques - Krabi's monkeys invade school | News by The Thaiger Attack of the macaques - Krabi's monkeys invade school | News by The Thaiger Attack of the macaques - Krabi's monkeys invade school | News by The Thaiger

SOURCE: The Nation



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Krabi. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Krabi

Investigation into mine explosion on a Phang Nga Bay bird’s-nest concession island

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published

on

Investigation into mine explosion on a Phang Nga Bay bird’s-nest concession island | The Thaiger
by Sittichai Sikhawat 

Police have launched an investigation into an explosion at a bird’s-nest concession area in Phang Nga bay, where one man was killed and another injured on Monday night. The island is Koh Lao Dua, six kilometres north of Koh Yao Noi.

Story HERE (one man has died since The Thaiger story).

25 year old Boodrod Thongdee died following the blast, while 35 year old Somchai Thongdee was injured.

Somkid Thongdee, who was with the two victims at the time, survived the explosion without injury. He maintains that they had entered the area to collect wild orchids. One of the men stepped on a mine planted along the beach.

A local community leader, however, is raising doubts about their claim, saying that locals had long known that the concession area was out of bounds.

(Do tour operators and inquisitive tourists know about the locations? Are there clear and obvious warning signs along the beaches?)

“Some measures have been used to deter thieves,” the community leader said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The day after the blast police found more mines planted in the concession area.

One of them was apparently similar to a device that police had seized from bird’s-nest watchers last year.

SOURCE: The Nation

Continue Reading

Hot News

Two injured after stepping on suspected mines at a Krabi island

Kritsada Mueanhawong

Published

on

Two injured after stepping on suspected mines at a Krabi island | The Thaiger

Two Thai men have sustained serious injuries after stepping on a mine at an island near Ao Nang, Krabi.

The Ao Nang Police were notified about the two men being injured from the incident in Ao Nang at 6pm last night.

35 year old Somchaai Longj sustained injuries on his legs, shoulder and a broken leg from the explosion and was taken to Krabi Hospital. The other injured person was 25 year old Boonrod Thongdee who was taken to a hospital in Phang Nga.

38 year old Somkid Tongdee says that he was heading from Koh Mak in Phang Nga Bay with two others friends to an island near Ao Nang in Krabi to collect wild orchids near a cave.

“Boonrod stepped on something in the ground before we heard the sound of an explosion.”

At this stage police speculate that the bomb might belong to a company who received a concession to produce and farm bird nets. They speculate they might have placed the mines to prevent and deter thieves.

The Thaiger has sought comment from provincial police about the possible presence of live mines on a Krabi island.

Continue Reading

Bangkok

TAT expects 2.3 million tourists for this year’s Songkran

Kritsada Mueanhawong

Published

on

TAT expects 2.3 million tourists for this year’s Songkran | The Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is expecting more than 2.3 million local and foreign tourists will join the various Songkran celebrations this year. They say that should generate 20 billion baht+ in revenue for tourism and tourism-related services.

TAT’s Governor Yuthasak Supasorn says 300,000 international arrivals are expected to celebrate the five day festival starting April 12, along with two million locals who will travel to celebrate Songkran this year. Songkran falling on a weekend this year will also bolster local tourism numbers.

The number of Songkran-specific visitors is up this year, partly because of the growing popularity of the festival internationally and the government extending the holiday to five days this year, now starting on April 12 (although ‘Songkran, the Thai New Year, is actually on April 13).

Songkran festival extended HERE.

He admits that the bad publicity about the poor air quality in the northern regions is a problem, especially around Chiang Mai which has become a big international visitor favorite over recent yers.

Chiang Mai is one of nine provinces in the North struggling with smoke haze, mostly because of open-air burning of farm waste and rubbish, and localised bush fires. The heavy smog has caused temporary suspension of flights between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son although flights into Chiang Mai have been unaffected so far.

Continue Reading

The Thaiger Newsletter

Keep up with all the day’s news. Subscribe here.

The latest news and information from Thailand.

* indicates required



Trending