Connect with us

Crime

Defence team will seek royal pardon for Burmese pair facing death penalty over Koh Tao murders

The Thaiger & The Nation

Published 

 on 

Defence team will seek royal pardon for Burmese pair facing death penalty over Koh Tao murders | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

Yesterday the Thai Supreme Court decided to uphold the death sentences handed down previously to the two young Burmese men for the September 2014 murder of two British tourists on Koh Tao. The defence team says they will now seek a royal pardon for the pair in the next 60 days.

The defendants, now 26 year old, were escorted from Bang Kwang Central Prison to Nonthaburi Court to hear the verdict.

The verdict, which took nearly two hours to deliver, said this case has clear, credible and detailed evidence against the pair, including DNA matches, so “it is not convincing that the police will fabricate evidence to frame the pair as claimed”.

Noting that the forensic evidence was carefully collected to prevent contamination and had been tested by a credible agency, and also that DNA tests were done on many Thais and foreigners in the vicinity, the court ruled that the defendants were not being targeted and found them guilty as charged.

The pair were escorted back to the Bang Kwang prison after hearing the verdict.

The Rakhine migrant workers were arrested nearly three weeks after British tourists 23 year old Hannah Witheridge and 24 year old David Miller were found bludgeoned to death on September 15, 2014. Autopsy results also showed that Witheridge had also been raped.

Although the suspects, facing charges of assault, murder, rape and theft as well as illegal entry into Thailand, reportedly confessed initially, they later retracted their confessions saying they had been tortured into doing so.

Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo were sentenced to death by the Koh Samui Provincial Court in December 2015, resulting in protests outside the Royal Thai Embassy in Myanmar. Later, in March 2017, the Court of Appeals Region 8 also upheld the pair’s convictions. Their lawyer then appealed to the Supreme Court, alleging that the police had failed to carry out proper procedures in search for DNA evidence and had forced the pair to confess to the murders.

SOURCE: The Nation

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.

Crime

Independent panel reviews Boss case to see if it can be re-opened

The Thaiger

Published

on

Independent panel reviews Boss case to see if it can be re-opened | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Vorayuth "Boss' Yoovidhya, alive and well, location unknown.

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has asked the independent panel examining the dismissal of charges relating to the 2012 hit-and-run case against Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya if it can be re-opened. Prosecutors abruptly decided not to arraign Boss on a charge of “reckless driving causing death” after the other charges relating to the incident had lapsed due to the statute of limitations. “I’ve asked them to study if I can order a re-investigation into the case. We’re in the stage of establishing facts about the justice process.” There has been a public outcry over the handling of the Boss case that has dragged […]

Continue Reading

Pattaya

107 kilograms of cannabis seized, 3 arrested in Chon Buri drugs bust

Maya Taylor

Published

on

107 kilograms of cannabis seized, 3 arrested in Chon Buri drugs bust | The Thaiger
PHOTO: The Pattaya News

Police in Chon Buri have carried out a large drug seizure, confiscating 107 kilograms of cannabis, as well as other items. 3 suspects are under arrest. Police confirmed the arrests and confiscation of illegal substances at a press conference held shortly after. The first 2 arrests took place at a restaurant in Soi Buakhao in Pattaya, with the suspects named as 18 year old Max and 53 year old Wirat Kietpittaya, aka. “Boy”. The arresting officers were acting on a tip-off that the owner of the restaurant was selling cannabis to foreigners. Police did not name the restaurant while speaking […]

Continue Reading

Crime

Thai PM orders seizure of body of key “Boss” witness for new autopsy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Thai PM orders seizure of body of key “Boss” witness for new autopsy | The Thaiger

The Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered officials to seize the body of a new witness who emerged 10 days ago in the Boss Yoovidhya hit-and-run case from 2012. The PM has instructed a new autopsy to end public speculation about the circumstances of his death – a motorcycle road death in Chiang Mai last week. Meanwhile, Chiang Mai police released new evidence showing that the dead key defence witness, 40 year old Jaruchart Mardthong, and the other motorcyclist involved in the collision which resulted in Jaruchart’s death, had been drinking in a local bar before the incident. The commander of Chiang […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending