A difficult week for King Charles III promises to become even more troublesome for the new monarch. The 73 year old has made several public appearances since his mother Queen Elizabeth II died and looked irritable and angry on each occasion.
On Saturday he was caught growling at a royal aide because of a messy desk just before he signed the declaration on becoming King while on Monday he visibly lost his temper when a pen began to leak at a signing ceremony at Northern Ireland’s Hillsborough Castle.
The new King’s reign doesn’t look to become any easier and faces a backlash after news broke that he sacked 100 royal staff and promoted his disgraced brother, Prince Andrew.
Staff at the new monarch’s official residence of Clarence House are said to be furious by the news after they worked around the clock ensuring everything went smoothly for the burial of Queen Elizabeth II.
The King’s top aide, Sir Clive Alderton, served notice on private secretaries, officials working in the finance and communications offices, and household staff, during the thanksgiving service for the Queen, at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday.
One source told the Guardian newspaper in England…
“Everybody is absolutely livid, including private secretaries and the senior team. All the staff have been working late every night since Thursday, to be met with this. People were visibly shaken by it.”
The letter informing staff their services would no longer be needed said…
“The change in role for our principals will also mean change for our household … The portfolio of work previously undertaken in this household supporting the former Prince of Wales’s personal interests, former activities and household operations will no longer be carried out, and the household … at Clarence House will be closed down. It is therefore expected that the need for the posts principally based at Clarence House, whose work supports these areas will no longer be needed.”
The King’s private secretary added…
“I appreciate that this is unsettling news and I wanted to let you know of the support that is available at this point.”
If this news wasn’t shocking enough, the decision to promote the disgraced Duke of York to public duties is sure to cause a stir.
Prince Andrew was heckled by anti-monarchy protesters in Edinburgh as he walked behind the hearse that carried the Queen’s coffin. He was called “a sick old man.”
Prince Andrew stepped down from public life following his friendship with the convicted sex offender and pedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew denied any wrongdoing after Virginia Giuffre accused Epstein of child sex trafficking her to the father of two daughters, Beatrice and Eugenie.
The Duke of York settled out of court for £12 million and then resigned from public roles in May 2020 while his honorary military affiliations and royal charitable patronages were removed by the Queen in January 2022.
Andrew remains stripped of his military patronages and unable to use the HRH title, but he is being lined up as one of King Charles III’s five Counsellors of State. In essence, this means his younger brother stands in for the King when he is unwell.
The others are his wife, Camilla, Queen consort of the United Kingdom, Prince William, Prince Harry and Princess Beatrice.
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.