Connect with us

Phuket

One of two tsunami warning buoys not working since October last year

The Thaiger

Published

on

One of two tsunami warning buoys not working since October last year | The Thaiger

One of the tsunami buoys, part of the warning system for the Andaman Coast, has been broken since last year.

GMM 25 news quotes the Director of the the National Disaster Warning Centre (NDWC) Suppapimit Paorik as saying… “Only one Tsunami warning buoy is still working. There are two of them. One of them remains broken since October last year.

We believe that fishermen tied their fishing boat to the Tsunami warning buoy to drop an anchor. The Tsunami buoy has been broken.”

“To repair the Tsunami warning buoy we need efficient experts and boats. A full installation each time costs about 8-10 million baht.”

The National Disaster Warning Centre (NDWC) will install a spare buoy within the month. Khun Suppapimit has confirmed that the there is still one operational tsunami warning buoy.

One buoy was installed 250 kilometres west of Phuket’s coast in 2010. A second was installed 150 kilometres from Phang Nga. Read more about their deployment HERE.

“There are also warning buoys set up by our neighboring countries. The warning buoy that is still working provides up to 90 minute warning.”

The National Disaster Warning Centre also says that a water level measurement station of the Royal Thai Navy provides an additional 30 minute warning and that the warning systems are monitored 24 hours a day.

SOURCE: GMM 25 News



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

If you have story ideas, a restaurant to review, an event to cover or an issue to discuss, contact The Thaiger editorial staff.

Hot News

Two shot in Phuket Town beauty spa this morning

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two shot in Phuket Town beauty spa this morning | The Thaiger

A South Korean man and Thai woman have been injured in spa shooting in Phuket Town.

The two sustained serious injuries from bullet wounds after having been shot at the spa in Wichit today.

Wichit Police reports that they was notified of an incident at ‘The Beauty Spa’ in Wichit at 10.30am this morning.

Police and emergency responders arrived at the scene to find two injuried from gun shots – a 74 year old South Korean man, Kwang Hee Kim, and father of Ms Eun Mi Kim, the owner of the Beauty Spa.

The other person injured was a 56 year old Thai woman named as Somsri Chuatonghua who is staff at the spa.

They were both taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital. The suspect, Somphon, a house-keeper at the spa, is currently being sought by police.

Continue Reading

Bangkok

TAT expects 2.3 million tourists for this year’s Songkran

The Thaiger

Published

on

TAT expects 2.3 million tourists for this year’s Songkran | The Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is expecting more than 2.3 million local and foreign tourists will join the various Songkran celebrations this year. They say that should generate 20 billion baht+ in revenue for tourism and tourism-related services.

TAT’s Governor Yuthasak Supasorn says 300,000 international arrivals are expected to celebrate the five day festival starting April 12, along with two million locals who will travel to celebrate Songkran this year. Songkran falling on a weekend this year will also bolster local tourism numbers.

The number of Songkran-specific visitors is up this year, partly because of the growing popularity of the festival internationally and the government extending the holiday to five days this year, now starting on April 12 (although ‘Songkran, the Thai New Year, is actually on April 13).

Songkran festival extended HERE.

He admits that the bad publicity about the poor air quality in the northern regions is a problem, especially around Chiang Mai which has become a big international visitor favorite over recent yers.

Chiang Mai is one of nine provinces in the North struggling with smoke haze, mostly because of open-air burning of farm waste and rubbish, and localised bush fires. The heavy smog has caused temporary suspension of flights between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son although flights into Chiang Mai have been unaffected so far.

Continue Reading

Phuket

German man dies in Phuket motorcycle crash

The Thaiger

Published

on

German man dies in Phuket motorcycle crash | The Thaiger

A German man has died after a motorbike crash in Thalang.

The Thalang Police were notified of the incident last night on Srisoonthorn Road in Baan Manik, Thalang.

The German man, 53 year old Carsten Elfried Koch, was the driver of a motorbike and sustained critical injuries as a result of the crash. He died at the scene.

Police believe that Mr Koch was heading back to his home in Cherng Talay at high speed. He lost control at a curve on the wet road.

His body was taken to the Thalang Hospital for an autopsy. Officials have informed the German Embassy in Thailand.

Police didn’t report if the man was wearing a bike helmet or not.

German man dies in Phuket motorcycle crash | News by The Thaiger

Continue Reading

The Thaiger Newsletter

Keep up with all the day’s news. Subscribe here.

The latest news and information from Thailand.

* indicates required



Trending