Connect with us

Phuket

Seven laborers electrocuted in canal

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Seven laborers electrocuted in canal | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHUKET TOWN: Seven laborers working in a canal next to the bypass road were rushed unconscious to the Wachira Phuket Hospital today after being electrocuted. The men – six Cambodians and a Thai – were working in the canal when an excavator working alongside them tangled a power line, breaking the cable, which dropped into the canal and electrocuted the workers. The excavator operator, Pia Paandam, 30, escaped injury. He was arrested and is currently being held in police custody. A Cambodian fellow-worker, Paolo, 28, told the Gazette, “The laborers were down in the canal, shoveling sand out of it. The excavator was helping them. The excavator’s arm got tangled with the power line, which snapped and dropped into the water where the men were working, knocking them out immediately. “Me and two other workers were up on the bank but we didn’t dare help our colleagues because, with the power line still in the water, we knew that we would be electrocuted as well. Someone called the police and had the electricity cut off,” he explained. As soon as the power was cut off, staff of the Kusornlatham Foundation, who had already arrived on the scene, pulled the unconscious men out of the canal and rushed them to hospital. A nurse at the Wachira Hospital told the Gazette, “The patients are recovering and are out of danger, though the Thai man is still unconscious. Two of the Cambodians are in good condition but the other four are still poorly.” Pol Maj Thanate Poungmanee of Phuket Town Police Station, who is investigating the incident, said, “I’m waiting for the patients to recover so that I can get statements from them.” The excavator belongs to Teeraphat Construction, a subcontractor on the project. The main contractor on the project, which started in August and is due for completion in October, is Kiattiya Construction Co. The 2.8-million-baht project, for the Vichit Tambon Council, entails digging silt out of the canal and then installing covers over it.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending