Connect with us

Phuket

Phi Phi locals “don’t need Bangkok’s help’

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Phi Phi locals “don’t need Bangkok’s help’ | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHI PHI: At a meeting today to discuss the future of the Phi Phi Islands – following the inconclusive talks on January 21 with Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Liptapanlop – local people made it clear that they regard the participation of the Organization for Specific Areas Administration for Sustainable Tourism Promotion (OSAASTP) in future plans and actions as superfluous.

After listening to views expressed by some of the 200 locals who attended the meeting, Krabi Governor Sonthi Techanont said he would put these in a letter to be sent soon to DPM Suwat.

The Governor said he had already sent another letter to Damrong Phidet, Director-General of the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, urging him to suspend the 200-baht-per-head National Park fee levied on foreigners visiting Maya Bay, on the grounds that Phi Phi’s tourism industry is only just beginning to revive.

Phankam Kitithorakul, Chairman of the Ao Nang Tambon Administration Organization (OrBorTor), the sub-district responsible for the Phi Phi Islands, told the Gazette today that local people feel they don’t need the OSAASTP.

“We have local administration bodies including the OrBorTor, the OrBorJor (Provincial Administration Organization) and the Krabi Provincial authority. If they give us the budget we can handle all the evacuation routes, footpaths and so on.

“Governor Sonthi will send a report to DPM Suwat stating again that local people here don’t need the OSAASTP to manage [Koh Phi Phi Don].

“But I don’t know what the government’s reaction will be,” he added.

“As for the new homes for tsunami victims, we have not been able to build these – even though [international charity] World Vision was ready to do so – because of the government’s ban on construction.

“However, today, Vichuda Jantharo, a local businesswoman, donated 20 rai on Phi Phi Don, in the western foothills, which will be enough room for 166 homes,” K. Phankam said. The ban on construction applies only to the flat area between Ton Sai Bay and Loh Dalam Bay.

Local people have told the Gazette that there is a serious shortage of accommodation on the island. Some local people who lost homes in the disaster 13 months ago are still staying with relatives, resulting in overcrowding. Others sleep in their fishing boats.

Some tourists, too, are sleeping in tents because there is not enough hotel accommodation.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending