Connect with us

Phuket

Navy completes home-building on Lanta

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Navy completes home-building on Lanta | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

KOH LANTA: The Royal Thai Navy (RTN) yesterday handed over the last 16 of a total of 60 homes it has built for tsunami victims on Koh Lanta. The Navy builders will now move on to Koh Khor Khao, near Baan Nam Khem in Phang Nga, to build a further 28 houses.

Adm Phirasak Watcharamul, Deputy Commander of the RTN, handed over the 16 houses to Prasit Phuchutvanichakul, Chief of Koh Lanta District. Construction, undertaken by some 400 sailors, started in April.

Also present at the handing-over ceremony of the “Rak Lanta Village” housing project was Wanlop Chiaravanont, Executive Director of the Charoen Pokphand Group, which gave 11 million baht to help fund it. Fourteen other sponsors, responsible for gifts of TVs, fridges and bedding, were also present.

K. Prasit told the Gazette that of the 11 people killed on Koh Lanta by the tsunami, nine were locals and two were foreigners.

He said, “The tsunami arrived here 10 minutes after it hit Phuket so we were able to warn people. Also, the waves were somewhat lower than in other areas. The 11 people killed were curious to know why the sea had gone out so far and got caught in the waves.”

He added that 79 local houses were destroyed and about 140 more were damaged by the waves.

“Tourism at the moment is very slow,” he said. “We have 3,200 rooms available in a total of 117 hotels and guest houses, but even if everything were undamaged I believe it would still be quiet.

“I think the main reason that tourists are not coming here is because of the unrest in the Deep South. Everyone realizes that the tsunami was a natural disaster and was not man-made. Owners restored their properties within two months of the disaster but still no one is coming.”

He continued, “Right now we have warning sirens at 10 places on the beaches. In the coming high season, even if we get only 70-80% of our usual occupancy rates, that would be good for us. But I’d like to see the situation in the Deep South improve.”

Tourism is the island’s biggest source of revenue. K. Prasit said that, in a normal year, Koh Lanta plays host to some 200,000 visitors, 99% of them from Europe.

Waard Vilawan, 44, a fisherman who received one of the donated house, tearfully expressed his gratitude to the donors.

“This is the second time that I have received help. The first time I got 15,000 baht from the government and I bought land to open a small shop in the future.

“I’m happy with the house but if possible I would like to receive further aid so that [my wife and I] can set up a small business,” he said.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading

Trending