Phuket

Misleading headline sends police on a mad scramble for explosives across the island

PHUKET: Provincial police are seeking to reassure residents of their safety after a popular Thai-language newspaper claimed that there were more than 30 bombs placed across the province on Tuesday.

The front-page claim caused public panic as police scrambled to check possible bomb drops in hot spots around Phuket.

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teerapol Thipjaroen confirmed with the Phuket Gazette this morning that there are no additional reports of bombs being found in Phuket. However, he is encouraging the island’s residents to report any suspicious activity.

“After the news was published, we thoroughly inspected and x-rayed potential target areas, but found no additional devices or explosives,” said Pol Major Teerapol Thipjaroen. “However, we are not ignoring the potential for this kind of situation and we will continue to closely monitor public areas. We will do our best to keep Phuket secured, and we urge the public not to panic.”

Major Teerapol said the provincial police will continue to follow up on reported suspicious activity and tips from citizens.

“We have been working with citizens so far, and we hope we can keep working together in order to continue to keep Phuket safe.”

— Kritsada Mueanhawong

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply