Jungceylon opens

PATONG: The Jungceylon mega-complex officially kicked its doors open last night with the grand opening of That’s Siam, the largest of the shopping zones in the complex.

In addition to the opening ceremony, early-bird shoppers were treated to performances by traditional Thai dancers, street performers, a giant indoor Christmas display and a light and water show.

That’s Siam comprises 10,000 square meters of floor space, of which about 50% is occupied by businesses that are now open for business.

Among the shops now trading are outlets of major chains, including Star Bucks and Carrefour, as well as branches of Siam Commercial Bank and KasikornBank.

The zone is divided into five sections: Thai fabrics, Thai art and handicrafts, Beauty and Spa, Thai Food, and a Thai art exhibition and craft demonstration area.

Other zones in the complex are slated to open next year.

Prawich Janyasittikul, Vice-CEO of Jungceylon Phuket, said that 90% of floor space in That’s Siam is devoted to shops selling Thai handicrafts, with the remaining 10% being occupied by shops selling imported items such as carpets, cashmere, metalwork and stylish household goods.

About 40,000 people a day are expected to visit the complex in the coming week, rising to about 50,000 a day in early 2007, K. Prawich said.

The opening of That’s Siam also marks another milestone for the beach resort town – underneath the center is parking space for some 2,000 cars that is now available to shoppers.

Phuket News
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply