Electrical fire near gas station sends residents running

PHUKET: Residents in the Koh Kaew area suffered power outages and heavy traffic jams after power cables caught fire across from the PTT gas station on Thepkrasatti Road yesterday afternoon.

The flames frightened many shop owners, including 70-year-old Aree Jindapol.

“At about noon, while we were selling food at the market, I heard what sounded like a bomb,” Ms Aree said. “Then I saw the flames and didn’t know what to do. We wanted to put the fire out, but it was too high up, so I took all of my things and ran as far away as I could.”

Firefighters, rescue workers, as well as Phuket’s Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA), arrived quickly to secure the area, which by then was full of smoke, ash and dangling electrical wires.

“Nobody was injured, but a lot of wires were destroyed. I’m glad that the fire was stopped before it spread to any houses or the gas station,” Ms Aree said.

The fire was sparked by a short circuit that spread to both low and high voltage wires, confirmed Puchong Manavakrit, a Phuket City firefighter.

“PEA will be working on fixing the broken wires. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience,” Mr Puchong added.

— Chutharat Plerin

Phuket News

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply