Connect with us

Pattaya

Phuket Gazette Thailand News: Teen slays own family; Yingluck faces protest murder charge; Pattaya tourism falls

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Phuket Gazette Thailand News: Teen slays own family; Yingluck faces protest murder charge; Pattaya tourism falls | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHUKET MEDIA WATCH

– Thailand news compiled by Gazette editors for Phuket’s international community

Teen suspect ‘confesses’ to shooting his family
The Nation / Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: A 19-year-old boy has allegedly confessed to shooting dead his parents and younger brother after he tried and failed to pass the blame on to the dead sibling, according to police.

Pol Colonel Sunthorn Himarat, a superintendent at Pathum Thani Police Headquarters, yesterday said the suspect made the confession in the face of solid evidence.

“Recordings from a closed-circuit TV system show the suspect turned off all eight security cameras at home where three blood-covered bodies were later found,” Sunthorn said.

Poor academic records

On Sunday, the 19-year-old boy initially told police that his younger brother had poor academic records, had been berated by his parents, and got angry.

Sunthorn said the suspect also tried to convey that he was not involved in the murders and that his younger sibling killed the parents before turning the gun on himself.

“But from the spot where the gun was found, it was impossible for the younger boy to have shot himself,” Sunthorn said.

He said police started having doubts about the older boy’s claim after available records showed the younger boy was a good student. “We then examined the older boy’s academic records and found the suspect had study-related problems himself. From there, we found so many pieces of evidence against him,” Sunthorn said.

According to the ongoing police investigation, the 19-year-old boy has now admitted he was angry his parents had failed to buy him a car and seemed to love his brother more than him.

Over the weekend, he put a soporific drug into the food eaten by the parents and younger brother. Then, after they had gone to bed, he allegedly shot them.

While the shocking murders have prompted public condemnation, his relatives hold no grudges against him.

“We are forgiving,” a 58-year-old woman said at the funeral for the three victims.

The relative said there was no point in directing anger at the boy as she believed what he needed was moral support.

“In fact, this was a warm family of four. His dad always brought his family along when he visited his relatives,” she said.

She said her in-law was quite strict with her children. The mother had always instructed her children to behave well and not be a burden to others.

“For example, when we offered our nephews cash gifts during the visit, the mother would advise her sons not to take the money,” the relative said.

As of yesterday, police sought court permission to take the teenager in custody.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Rajanagarindra Institute’s deputy director Dr Wimonrat Wanpen said this case should remind everyone of the need to take good care of one’s family.

“When such violence happens, often family factors are involved,” she said. She pointed out that spoiled and physically or verbally abused children could resort to violence.

Wimonrat said when raising children, adults should use both love and rules. “Balance the two well and things should be fine,” she said.

Mental Health Department deputy director-general Panpimol Wipula-korn said her department had already contacted police to provide assistance in the 19-year-old murder suspect’s case.

Court rules today on Bt2-tn bill
The Nation / Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: The caretaker government might scrap the Bt700-billion high-speed train project if the Constitutional Court rules today that the Bt2-trillion loan bill was passed in violation of the Constitution.

Meanwhile, the Thai Federation of Industries (FTI) was concerned that the delay in the country’s infrastructure project might impact economic growth for the next seven years.

The court verdict is expected to be delivered today. The court started hearing the petition, filed by the Democrat Party, on January 8 after the Senate had passed the loan bill.

“I’m not worried about the ruling on the bill as we respect the court’s verdict,” said caretaker deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana.

The court will decide whether the loan bill violates Articles 169 and 170 of the Constitution.

The government argues that the Bt2-billion loan is not a kind of “State Fund” under Article 169 of the Constitution. Therefore, it does not need to go through the House in the same way as a national budget. If the loan is not a state fund, the government will not have to report the fund’s financial statement to the House and the Senate as stipulated by Article 170.

The huge loan bill, already passed by the Senate, gives the Finance Ministry the power to borrow up to Bt2 trillion to finance the infrastructure projects such as double-track railways, mass-transit electric trains, sea ports, motorways and high-speed trains.

Asked how the government would accept responsibility if the bill was ruled unconstitutional, Phongthep said in normal circumstances, the prime minister might have had to take responsibility and resign or the government would have had to dissolve the House.

“But, as House has already been dissolved and we’re a caretaker government, we don’t need to do anything to accept responsibility,” Phongthep said

Caretaker Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt said the government would alter its infrastructure development plan if the Bt2-trillion loan bill was found to be in breach of the Constitution, by putting off some projects requiring huge investment such as the high-speed trains.

Premier Yingluck Shinawatra said if the court’s verdict went against the Bt2-trillion loan bill, it would be sad as Thailand would lose an opportunity for infrastructure development.

PM, five others sued over Phan Fah clash
The Nation / Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: Relatives of the two anti-government protesters slain in the clashes at Phan Fah Lilat Bridge nearly a month ago yesterday filed a criminal lawsuit against caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and five others for premeditated murder.

Thanusak Rattanakot and Supoj Boonrung died from gunshot wounds during the clashes between police and an unidentified armed group in the area on February 18, which left six people dead including both protesters and police.

Chaiwat Sitthisuksakul, a lawyer representing relatives of the two deceased, filed a lawsuit with the Criminal Court against Yingluck and five others including caretaker Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung in his capacity as director of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order.

The lawsuit charges them with premeditated murder for ordering police to disperse the protesters.

The lawyer said relatives of the other two protesters killed in the clash had filed a criminal lawsuit against the caretaker prime minister and others on similar charges. Yingluck could face more lawsuits from those injured or otherwise affected by the dispersal.

EC votes for Bangkok governor re-election
The Nat

— Phuket Gazette Editors

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.

Pattaya

Woman and 2 children escape unharmed after car flips over in Pattaya

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Woman and 2 children escape unharmed after car flips over in Pattaya | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Rak Siam News

A woman who lost control of her car, making the vehicle flip over, has had a lucky escape, along with her 2 young children, who were unharmed in the incident. 36 year old Suweena Rodpan says she was driving in the rain, on Pattaya’s Sukhumvit Road, when she lost control of the car due to the wet surface. She subsequently collided with another vehicle in front of her, before her own car flipped over.

Suweena, along with her 11 year old son and 8 year old daughter, were not injured in the incident, nor was the driver of the other vehicle.

Pattaya City Police have launched an investigation into the accident, but it is not yet known if Suweena will face charges.

SOURCE: The Pattaya News

Catch up with the latest daily “Thailand News Today” here on The Thaiger.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.
Continue Reading

Crime

5 arrested in Pattaya with machine gun and crystal meth

Caitlin Ashworth

Published

on

5 arrested in Pattaya with machine gun and crystal meth | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Thai Visa

Police arrested 5 people, including juveniles, who were allegedly carrying a machine gun, a handgun and bullets as well as crystal methamphetamine and ecstasy. One suspect allegedly told police he needed the machine gun to protect himself from a “powerful enemy.” Police say all of the suspects tested positive for methamphetamine use.

The car was passing through a police checkpoint in Pattaya city near the Sukhumvit intersection on North Pattaya Road when police searched the vehicle, finding the 2 guns and ammunition as well as 5 bags of crystal methamphetamine and 3 bags of ecstasy. Police did not say how much each bag weighed.

Police say there 2 women and 3 men were in the vehicle. They did not release the names or ages, but say some of the suspects were juveniles. One of the suspects took responsibility for the illegal weapons, saying he needed the machine gun to protect himself, police say. Police did not say why the suspect needed to be protected.

At the Pattaya City Police station, the 5 suspects took a urine drug test. Police say all of the urine samples came back “purple,” a positive result for methamphetamine use. Police are continuing their investigations before pressing charges.

SOURCE: Pattaya News

Catch up with the latest daily “Thailand News Today” here on The Thaiger.

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.
Continue Reading

Pattaya

Pattaya City council pushes for action against abandoned Waterfront condo project

The Thaiger

Published

on

Pattaya City council pushes for action against abandoned Waterfront condo project | The Thaiger

The Pattaya City Council is pushing for action, any action, against the abandoned 53 story Waterfront Suites and Residence luxury condo after it has been left as an eyesore for many years overlooking the Bali Hai Pier. The Waterfront Suites and Residence is a half-finished condo project that was stalled in 2014 after safety inspectors discovered that the building’s fire escapes and elevator systems designs varied from the already approved construction designs.

Thai Engineering, however, allegedly ignored the stop-work order and continued, but the company says it was not informed from the developers to stop. The project was originally launched and proposed back in 2004.

In July, 2014, Pattaya city officials halted construction of the condo and hotel project following an internet firestorm after photos showing the tower obstructing a “classic” Pattaya viewpoint. The majority of comments were negative, claiming the project ruined the viewpoint hill and the area around Bali Hai pier and was an “eyesore”. The mayor at the time, Itthiphol Kuneplome spoke up for the project and said that it had continually followed correct and fully transparent legal processes.

Then the condo’s Israeli-owned Bali Hai Company, due to complaints about the condo’s obstruction of the natural landscape and land permit issues, filed a petition with the Central Bankruptcy Court in Bangkok for debt restructuring which subsequently failed as the company went bankrupt.

The Pattaya Court has ordered for the condo to be legitimately demolished but due to legal proceedings against the company dragging along, the condo continues to sit abandoned. Furthermore, Pattaya City authorities were rejected by the departments that would carry out the demolition citing that the authorities were not specialised in estimating the cost of such a demolition. Now the authorities are still trying to get estimates from 11 different companies to outsource the demolition which is contributing to the delay.

But the Pattaya City Council chairman says that law firms should take control and use photographs and other documents before collecting the evidence to speed up the process. Regardless, the demolition of the condo is in limbo as pending lawsuits are preventing it from moving forward.

SOURCE: The Pattaya News

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.
Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending