Covid-19 cases surge 39% in a week, public urged to take precautions
The Department of Disease Control issued a public warning yesterday, alerting citizens to the resurgence of Covid-19 and urging them to take necessary precautions to protect themselves.
The director-general, Dr Tares Krassanairawiwong, revealed that there were 2,356 Covid inpatients last week, marking a 39% increase from the previous week. Additionally, the number of patients suffering from lung inflammation and requiring ventilators rose by approximately 45%. Covid related fatalities also doubled on a weekly basis.
Dr Tares stated that 55% of the recent fatalities were vulnerable and unvaccinated individuals, while the remaining 45% were those whose Covid antibody count had significantly dropped after being vaccinated or infected more than six months ago.
He recommended that people receive both Covid and influenza vaccines simultaneously to minimise the risk of severe illness from both diseases.
The Covid virus has been spreading once more since the Songkran festival in mid-April, reports Bangkok Post.
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.