Phuket mototaxi driver dies of glue overdose

PHUKET TOWN: A motorcycle taxi driver was found dead in an abandoned cinema in Phuket Town yesterday after an apparent overdose on glue, police said.

Police estimated that Bangkok-native Thianchai Atwinit, 33, died three days before his body was discovered.

Phuket City Police Duty Officer Somchai Nuboon was alerted to the grim discovery by a local resident at about 7:30pm yesterday.

At the scene, a bathroom on the first floor of the long-abandoned Nimit Cinema on Ong Sim Pai Road in Phuket Town, police found Mr Thianchai’s body slumped over on the ground.

Mr Thianchai was wearing his motorcycle taxi driver’s vest. Next to his body were three cans of glue.

Police believe the dead man probably regularly used the bathroom to take drugs because there was little chance of being disturbed. The cinema closed down more than 10 years ago.

Mr Thianchai probably sniffed too much glue and went into shock before dying, police believe.

His motorcycle was also found parked nearby.

Police say they will continue their inquiries until they establish with certainty the cause of Mr Thianchai’s death.

Phuket News

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply