Survey shows 40.91% of Thais plan to have sex on Loy Krathong Day

Photo by John Shedrick via Flickr

Siam Techno Poll of Siam Technology College reported that 40.31% of Thai people plan to celebrate Loy Krathong by getting naked and having sex.

Siam Techno Poll of Siam Technology College conducted a survey called People You Look Forward to Seeing on Loy Krathong Day. The participants were 1,100 Thais aged 18 and above from all occupations, and the survey was conducted between November 16 and 18.

The survey revealed that the majority of participants, 71.48%, expressed their eagerness to attend Loy Krathong events, 21.95% might go to the events and 6.57% did not want to go. According to the report, 62.06% of the participants expected to have online conversations with people on social media, 26.68% expected to meet and travel with newfound social media and 17.74% expected to share a room with them.

A total of 31.31% of respondents planned to go to the Loy Krathong event with people they had just met on social media, while the remaining 68.69% did not want to go or had no plans. In addition, 40.91% of the respondents wanted to have sex on Loy Krathong Day, 25.44% were unsure and 33.65% did not want to have sex.

Thanakorn Pongphu, a professor from the Siam Techno Poll, said that almost one in three participants planned to enjoy Loy Krathong Festival with people they had just met on social media, and most of the participants planned to have sex on the day.

Thanakorn said it was important for families and friends to pay attention to people close to them to avoid sexual assault and other dangers. He also believes that relevant departments should also promote safe sex.

Previous survey similarities

A previous survey in 2021 showed that the majority of Thai people agreed that most people had sex during the Loy Krathong Festival, even more than on Valentine’s Day. Participants also felt that people were at risk of being sexually assaulted at the Loy Krathong Festival because activities took place at night and people liked to float Krathong with their partners.

The survey above was conducted by the Friends of Youth Development and Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation. The 1,042 participants were residents of Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samut Prakan aged between 15 and 25.

In addition to the survey, some doctors confirmed that they had seen more patients with sex-related diseases and symptoms after the festival.

Relevant Thai government agencies and non-profit organisations have stepped forward to issue sexual assault warnings and safe sex advice before the festival each year. However, there was no concrete research on whether or not the number of sexual assaults and unsafe sex decreased.

The Loy Krathong Festival will be held on Monday, November 27. Several places, both private and government, will hold Loy Krathong events where people can float their Krathongs (also known as banana baskets) into rivers or canals, enjoy stage performances and enjoy various street food.

Some events include a beauty pageant called Nang Noppamart along with a Krathong design competition.

EventsThailand News

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Petch Petpailin

Petpailin, or Petch, is a Thai translator and writer for The Thaiger who focuses on translating breakingThai news stories into English. With a background in field journalism, Petch brings several years of experience to the English News desk at The Thaiger. Before joining The Thaiger, Petch worked as a content writer for several known blogging sites in Bangkok, including Happio and The Smart Local. Her articles have been syndicated by many big publishers in Thailand and internationally, including the Daily Mail, The Sun and the Bangkok Post. She is a news writer who stops reading news on the weekends to spend more time cafe hopping and petting dwarf shrimp! But during office hours, you can find Petch on LinkedIn and you can reach her by email at