Short-circuited incubator burns Phuket baby

PHUKET: A newborn Phuket baby suffered burn wounds after a fire started in its incubator, an accident dubbed “unpreventable” by the hospital director.

The baby was two days old when a short-circuit in the incubator’s light bulb set fire to the newborn’s swaddling blanket, explained Thana Bookahoot, director of the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor) Hospital.

“Nurses immediately saved the baby. However, the baby did suffer a mild burn wound,” explained Dr Thana.

“A nurse’s hand was burnt in the accident as well.”

Dr Thana told the Phuket Gazette that this type of accident is unpreventable.

“We do regular checks on our incubators, but short-circuit fires like this can happen even in properly working machines,” he explained.

Dr Thana declined to comment on how often hospital staff run safety checks on the incubators.

“The baby is safe and has been transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital for recovery. There is a skin specialist there who will take care of the treatment,” Dr Thana said.

The hospital declined to name the parents or the gender of the baby. As a result, the Gazette was unable to reach the parents for comment.

— Saran Mitrarat

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply