Connect with us

Phuket

Phuket exit strategy: German youth to plead guilty

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Phuket exit strategy: German youth to plead guilty | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHUKET CITY: The German teenager arrested in Phuket in March on child sex charges will plead guilty when he appears in court next month, the Gazette has learned.

German Honorary Consul Dirk Naumann said the German mission has looked at the young man’s legal situation “from all angles”.

They now believe the Thai legal system does not permit someone in the young man’s circumstances to be considered a victim rather than a perpetrator, as previously hoped.

The teenager was just 17 when he was arrested on charges of sexually abusing minors along with his alleged co-conspirator, 43-year-old Dax Young of Britain.

The young man is alleged to have committed acts of abuse, on camera, with Thai boys as young as nine years old. The abuse allegedly occurred at Mr Young’s rented home in Patong.

Yet it is the German diplomatic mission’s belief that he was forced into the situation by dire family and financial circumstances as well as pressure from the older man.

For our previous reports on the story, click here and here.

Last month, Dr Hanns Schumacher, German ambassador to Thailand, told the Gazette, “We hope the young man will be considered a victim and not a perpetrator.”

“We now realize that the Thai legal system does not allow someone like him to be classified as a victim and set free. It can’t be done,” Mr Naumann told the Gazette today.

When the young man appeared at Phuket Juvenile and Family Court on Tuesday the judge decided to postpone the hearing until July 27.

Mr Naumann attended the Tuesday hearing and spoke with the young man. “He is in good spirits. We told him the Thai authorities and the Thai judiciary have been most understanding about our view of the situation. We also told him there’s no other way but to plead guilty, and he agreed to plead guilty,” he said.

The German mission now hopes the young man will receive a suspended sentence from the judge and be immediately deported to Germany.

He would be banned from returning to Thailand.

Mr Naumann said he hoped the German prosecution office would then launch a new investigation into the young man’s alleged crimes.

“We hope they will look on the case based on our law, which allows a child like him to be judged a victim rather than a perpetrator,” he said.

Mr Naumann said it was important that the case be re-opened in Germany. “Otherwise he is a criminal for the rest of his life, he’s a pedophile.”

If the German prosecution office finds the young man innocent, “they then have the option to advise the Thais of their findings. The Thai authorities may then lift his travel ban. But nothing is certain; the judiciary in Thailand is independent, as is the German judiciary,” he said.

— Dan Waites

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending