PHUKET: Police believe an electrical short circuit started a fire at the house of Sompong Muthitakul, vice president of the Sports Association of Thailand office in Phuket, on Tuesday night.
Regardless, officers have not ruled out the possibility of arson and are continuing their investigation to confirm precisely what caused the fire, Phuket City Police Deputy Superintendent Jamroon Plaiduang told the Phuket Gazette.
Mr Sompong’s wife, Ms Junthima, told police she was watching television in the basement of the house, located on Wichit Songkram Road in Phuket Town, when at about 7pm she heard a “startling noise” and saw sparks flying.
Not waiting to figure out what caused the sparks, she ran out of the house and told neighbors to call the police.
Firefighters from Phuket City Municipality arrived soon after, along with officers from the Phuket City Police.
The firemen took 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze.
No people were reported as injured in the incident.
— Kritsada Mueanhawong
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.