PHUKET: A 9-million baht pre-construction study on how to ease traffic congestion at Chalong Circle is underway, with companies considering seven options including several flyovers in addition to underpasses.
The yearlong study will analyze traffic flow around Chalong Circle and potential effects of an underpass or flyover on the surrounding environment, said Director of the Phuket Highways Office Samak Luedwonghad.
Three companies – NuMAP, Epsilon, and Asia Lab and Consultant – are now working together on the study, he said.
“The information we receive from the data collected will be used to choose the most suitable of the seven proposed routes,” Mr Samak said.
The proposed routes under consideration have changed from the original six underpass options originally slated for the project (story here).
The newly proposed routes are:
1. A one-way underpass northbound from Wiset Road (from Rawai) to Chao Fa West Road.
2. A one-way underpass southbound from Chao Fa East Road to Wiset Road
3. A one-way underpass southbound from Chao Fa East Road to Wiset Road and a one-way underpass northbound from Wiset Road to Chao Fa West Road
4. A one-way flyover southbound from Chao Fa East Road to Wiset Road and a one-way flyover northbound from Wiset Road to Chao Fa West Road
5. A one-way underpass northbound from Wiset Road to Chao Fa East Road and a one-way underpass northbound from Wiset Road to Chao Fa West Road
6. A two-way flyover between Chao Fa West Road and Wiset Road
7. A two-way flyover between Chao Fa East Road and Wiset Road
“The study-project began on August 17. It will be concluded on August 12, 2014,” Mr Samak explained.
— Orawin Narabal
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.