Connect with us

News Desk

Chiang Mai: Controversial housing estate to be ringed with ‘No Man’s Land’ signs

The Thaiger

Published

on

Chiang Mai: Controversial housing estate to be ringed with ‘No Man’s Land’ signs | The Thaiger

The Government brokered a deal where all but four apartments would have to be removed las month. Yet people are now living in the 45 houses on the slopes of Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai. So what’s going on?

The Doi Suthep Forest Reclamation Network said it would post “No Man’s Land” signs around the Chiang Mai mountain housing estate this afternoon marking the perimeter of the controversial housing estate built for members of the Courts of Justice.

The group is demanding that the 30 families who have recently moved into the homes be evicted.

It wants the Courts of Justice to stop ongoing construction and immediately return 45 houses and nine flats in the estate to the Treasury Department, said network coordinator Teerasak Rupsuwan.

The estate has 13 flats and 45 houses and an administrative office building for Appeals Region 5.

The government in early May brokered an agreement that was to see the portion of the property recognised as forestland returned to the Treasury Department and eventually again become part of Doi Suthep-Pui National Park.

The deal allowed for the office building and four flats to remain.

The network was waiting until a June 18 deadline for the contractor to sign over the last phase of the project to the court so the process of returning a portion of the site could begin.

But reports of 30 families moving in since April – plus a rumour that the contractor might miss the deadline – prompted concerns that the court might ignore the order.

The PM’s Office Minister Suwaphan Tanyuvardhana, serving as the government’s referee in the dispute, sent his secretary, Thaworn Phrommeechai, and other members of the central committee to participate in inspection of the site by a Chiang Mai-based sub-panel yesterday.

Suwaphan urged both sides to think of “the common good” rather than how they might benefit as individuals or groups, to be understanding of each other, and to have a positive and non-hostile viewpoint.

“We should proceed with what can be done in the short term while both sides discuss mid-term and long-term solutions based on the law, academic studies, the facts of the locality and other factors,” Suwaphan said.

Chiang Mai: Controversial housing estate to be ringed with ‘No Man’s Land’ signs | News by The Thaiger

Original story HERE:

If you have story ideas, a restaurant to review, an event to cover or an issue to discuss, contact The Thaiger editorial staff.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Desk

Pattaya’s “sex gurus” ordered to remain in detention as they continue fight

The Thaiger

Published

on

Pattaya’s “sex gurus” ordered to remain in detention as they continue fight | The Thaiger

Ten Russian self-appraised ‘sex gurus’ at the centre of a sex-techniques course held in Pattaya in February have been ordered to remain in detention by the Pattaya Court.

The Thai News Agency are reporting that eight of the ten involved in offering the course appeared in court at the end of last week. The Court asked if they admitted their crimes – they all denied it. The eight also informed the Court that they had instructed lawyers to fight their cases. They were then taken back to jail to await their next day in court.

One person is charged with overstay, three with illegal entry and all ten, “working without a work permit”.

They were arrested on February 26 in a Pattaya Sai 2 Road hotel where they were allegedly conducting courses on sex techniques to 43 Russians who had paid 20,000 baht each.

The group were led by 35 year old “Alex Leslie” and “Nastya Rubka”. Nasty (aka Anastasia Vashukevich) later tried to trade her freedom for information about meddling in the US elections claiming she had connections with Russian oligarchs.

The location of Alex and Nastya is not mentioned in the TNA story but they are understood to remain in detention in Bangkok whilst investigations in to their claims continues.

Pattaya's

SOURCE: Thai News Agency

Continue Reading

Chiang Rai

“Not for sale at any price” – Mu Pa Academy VP

The Thaiger

Published

on

“Not for sale at any price” – Mu Pa Academy VP | The Thaiger

In the wake of 13 of their young footballers being rescued from the Tham Luang caves, TNA reports that some of the world’s biggest football clubs are showing interest in actually buying the Mu Pa football academy.

But the club’s vice president and manager Kittipong Intaechai says, despite the interest, his club is not for sale at any price.

Mr Intaechai notes the purpose of the academy is to help improve the lives of local boys in Chiang Rai through playing football, not to make money. Mr Intaechai is also warning the public about buying ‘Wild Boar’ souvenirs. In the aftermath of the rescue many souvenirs have been created that include the logo and name of the Wild Boar team.

“These have not been produced by the club but instead by people hoping to cash in on the back of the success of the rescue operation.”

While none of the clubs supposedly interested in buying the Wild Boars were named in the TNA report, teams from the around the world have offered support and gifts to the boys following their rescue from the cave.

German Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich recently sent well wishes to the boys along with 13 replica jerseys which have ‘Moopa Academy’ printed on the back.

Manchester United previously invited the boys to their Old Trafford stadium and Carrington training base, while Portugal’s Benfica has also offered the boys an all expenses paid trip to train at its academy in Seixal, near Lisbon.

ORIGINAL STORY: TNA

Continue Reading

Chiang Rai

Elon Musk “should be put up against a wall and shot” – Mother of UK diver Unsworth

The Thaiger

Published

on

Elon Musk “should be put up against a wall and shot” – Mother of UK diver Unsworth | The Thaiger

The UK ‘The Sun’ is reporting that the 88 year old mother of UK cave diver Vernon Unsworth says American tech billionaire Elon Musk should be shot for falsely branding her son a ‘pedo’.

Musk twittered the insult towards the cave expert after Unsworth branded the tycoon’s offer to build a mini submarine to free the trapped Thai schoolboys a PR stunt. Unsworth was in Chiang Mai providing valuable skills and information into the delicate cave dive to retrieve the Mu Pa 13.

The Tesla boss has since apologised to 63 year old Unsworth, but his mum has clearly not forgiven Musk for what he said about her son. When asked about the “pedo” slur, Vera Unsworth said: “That’s stupid, that is the last thing he is. It’s disgusting, absolutely disgusting that.

Read the rest of the story HERE.

Continue Reading

The Thaiger Newsletter

Keep up with all the day’s news. Subscribe here.

The latest news and information from Thailand.

* indicates required

Trending