Woman shot dead while serving dinner in Nakhon Sawan

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

A woman was shot dead while serving food at her dining table by a gunman suffering from alleged mental health issues. The incident took place in Nakhon Sawan, where the perpetrator was later apprehended by police.

At approximately 9.30pm yesterday, July 1, officer Arthit Yaemklin from Takli Police Station received a report of a fatal shooting at a residence. Upon arrival, along with a doctor from Takli Hospital and the Takli Charity Foundation, they found the lifeless body of 44 year old Chomphu at the dining table. She had been shot once in the right shoulder with the bullet embedded inside her, causing her to die at the scene.

The gunman, identified as Korkot, who resides in the house opposite, was found sitting and shouting outside his home, holding a .38 calibre firearm with spent shell casings nearby. Police collected these as evidence.

Witnesses explained that they and the victim were in the middle of a meal when the shooting occurred. Chomphu was in the process of serving rice when she was struck by a bullet. She told her friend that she had been shot before collapsing to the floor. The witnesses immediately contacted the police for assistance.

Upon arrival, members of the Takli Charity Foundation attempted to perform CPR but Chomphu had lost too much blood and was pronounced dead at the scene. It was reported that the gunman had been firing sporadically since the previous day and continued until the evening. He exhibited signs of mental instability, and no prior conflicts were reported between him and the victim, leaving the motive unclear.

Following the shooting, Korkot continued to shout outside his house. The police negotiation team from Takli Police Station attempted to persuade him to surrender but he responded belligerently. The team devised a plan to apprehend him, successfully capturing him at approximately 11.35pm in front of his house.

During the arrest, Korkot appeared intoxicated and his speech was incoherent. He was taken into custody and transported to Takli Police Station for further questioning and legal proceedings, reported KhaoSod.

Crime NewsNorthern Thailand NewsThailand News

Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Originally from Hong Kong, Puntid moved to Bangkok in 2020 to pursue further studies in translation. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Comparative Literature from the University of Hong Kong. Puntid spent 8 years living in Manchester, UK. Before joining The Thaiger, Puntid has been a freelance translator for 2 years. In her free time, she enjoys swimming and listening to music, as well as writing short fiction and poetry.

Related Articles