Connect with us

Phuket

Video Report: NCPO hotline chief investigator ditches Phuket call to prayer complaint

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Video Report: NCPO hotline chief investigator ditches Phuket call to prayer complaint | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHUKET: The chief investigator from the Prime Minister’s Office today confirmed that the national complaint center will not be taking any further action against a mosque at Cape Panwa for allegedly disturbing its neighbors by playing their daily calls to prayer too loudly.

Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong last Thursday was forced to disband a mob of more than 100 local Muslims outraged by the complaint, which was filed through the the national complaint center hotline in Bangkok (story here).

The mob threatened to blockade the Phuket Panwa Beachfront Resort, which they believed had filed the complaint.

Today, Orawn Khumsap, head inspector of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) complaint center, declined to name who filed the complaint, but was adamant that it was not the resort – a fact attested to last week by the hotel’s general manager, Denis Martin.

“We can confirm that the resort did not file the complaint,” Ms Orawan told a meeting at the Panwa Beachfront Resort.

“But we cannot reveal who did. That information is confidential.”

The mob last week disbanded only after Governor Nisit agreed to call a meeting to discuss the issue, at which the owner of the resort was to make a statement – a key demand of the protesters.

However, the resort owner was not present at the meeting today.

“The local residents have accepted the confirmation from the Prime Minister’s Office that the resort was not involved in the complaint,” said Narong Koombann, a community leader at Baan Ao Makham.

“And we will not continue our efforts to find out who did, since the claims made in the complaint were all false.”

The complaint specifically centered on the call to prayer being played at irregular hours and at a volume that allegedly disturbed local residents.

Mr Narong assured that the calls to prayer would continue to be played as usual.

“This has been our custom, part of our religion, for a long time,” he said

“The daily calls to prayer will be played at 5:30am, noon, 4pm, 6pm and 7:45pm, and for no longer than five minutes each.”

The issue of the volume of the calls to prayer was at was not addressed at today’s meeting.

— Voratuss Intasee

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.
Never miss out on future posts by following The Thaiger.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading
Follow The Thaiger by email:

Trending