Connect with us

Phuket

Tsunami alarm drill set for December 16

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published

on

Tsunami alarm drill set for December 16 | The Thaiger

PHUKET: The National Disaster Warning Center (NDWC) will conduct a simultaneous test of all Information and Communications Ministry (ICT) tsunami warning towers in the Andaman provinces on December 16, Suranand Vejjajiva, Minister Attached to the Prime Minister’s Office, has announced. The timing of the test has yet to be set.

K. Suranand made the announcement at a meeting on Tuesday with the Governors of Phuket and Phang Nga Provinces and Vice-Governors from Krabi, Ranong and Trang, during which he was brought up to date on the status of tsunami warning systems and evacuation plans in the five provinces.

“The NDWC will set off the alarms as if it were a real situation, so that we can be sure that it works for local people and tourists,” K. Suranand said.

“In Khao Lak, there are now four [ICT] warning towers linked with the NDWC, which will also alert Radio Thailand so they can issue warnings. However, we must hurry to have evacuation signs erected by December 15.

“In addition, in each province, we must coordinate with places such as hotels and resorts to make sure they have tsunami warning alarms fitted, linked direct to the NDWC, because most tourists stay in hotels.”

He added that the detector buoy system to be set up in the Andaman Sea will be operational about the middle of next year. “This world-standard system will give us about one hour’s warning to evacuate all local people and tourists.

“We have allocated 93 million baht for setting up this system. When it is complete we will also be able warn other countries bordering the Indian Ocean,” he said.

K. Suranand explained that three ICT warning towers are operational in Patong, and that some 24 towers in total will be installed throughout the tsunami-affected provinces.

“We have chosen where 24 warning towers will be installed, focusing mainly on places damaged last year. And as the local administrative bodies have most of the budget [to build them] they should be complete soon,” K. Suranand said.

Phuket Governor Udomsak Uswarangkura said that he expected all the ICT warning towers in Phuket to ready by December 16.

“In addition to these, the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor) has built 12 lookout towers at Phuket beaches, and the Royal Thai Navy will build 18 more lookout towers around the island,” Gov Udomsak said.

“And the NDWC, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and the OrBorJor will hurry to finish posting evacuation signs and building tsunami shelters,” he added.

Phang Nga Governor Vinai Buapradit said that eight of the 16 ICT Ministry warning towers in mainland Phang Nga will be complete by the end of this month, with more towers on islands in the province to be completed no later than February.

Nine more towers will be erected around the province, he said, and one warning tower linked with the NDWC has already been installed at Baan Nam Khem.

“The evacuation signs must be finished before December 26 because that day is first anniversary of the tsunami, and I want shelters built because Phang Nga is flat land, which means people cannot escape a tsunami. There will be five tsunami shelters built on the mainland and three more on islands, together costing about 25 million baht,” he said.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Business

Some restrictions lifted for superyachts in the region

The Thaiger

Published

on

Some restrictions lifted for superyachts in the region | The Thaiger

PHOTO: katarocks.com

Thailand is poised to ease rules on bareboat charters as well as introducing new measures to attract more luxury and super yachts into the region.

The new measures were laid out in a presentation called “Highlighting Strategies for Attracting Yachts and Improving Safety at Sea” held at the 2019 Thailand Yacht Show and Rendezvous in Phuket.

Gordon Fernandes, Asia Pacific Superyachts co-founder, outlined new measures to attract Superyachts in the meeting attended by officials from Thailand’s Customs Department.

Representing Thailand’s Customs Department, Kanchana Suwanicho, updated delegates on the rules applying for a temporary stay for yachts as well as outlining revisions for bareboat charter rules.

ttrweekly.com reports that, under the revisions, bareboat charters will not need to hire a Thai registered captain and engineer to be present on board vessels for the sailing duration.

“Out-dated rules are being reviewed, but due to recent boating tragedies involving foreign tourists authorities are concerned about potential safety lapses.”

Stating that Thailand wants to continue being the ‘Yachting Hub for Asia’ Kanchana said bareboat charters would not be required to hire a Thai captain and engineer, but the charterer would be required to show they had qualified personnel to assume full responsibility.

The Revenue department confirmed it was actively working to resolve a stumbling block linked to Superyacht charter licences.

“Once this stumbling block has been removed foreign flagged yachts, over 30 metres long, will be allowed to legally charter in Thailand. This will be a major boom for the industry both in Phuket and across the region.”

The easing of restrictions for superyachts coming to the region has been a major issue of the founder of the Thailand Yacht Show and Singapore Yacht Show, Andy Treadwell.

Some restrictions lifted for superyachts in the region | News by The Thaiger

Attendees of the “Highlighting Strategies for Attracting Yachts and Improving Safety at Sea”

PHOTO: ttrweekly.com

Some restrictions lifted for superyachts in the region | News by The Thaiger

Gordon Fernandes, Asia Pacific Superyachts co-founder – PHOTO: Guy Nowell

Continue Reading

Phuket

Suspect hands himself in to police, denies charges in Saphan Hin shooting

The Thaiger

Published

on

Suspect hands himself in to police, denies charges in Saphan Hin shooting | The Thaiger

A suspect has handed himself in to police after an arrest warrant was issued over a Saphan Hin shooting last week. The suspect is denying the charges.

A Thai man was shot dead near Saphan Hin in eastern Phuket last week. An arrest warrant was issued for the suspect shortly after as police went hunting for the suspect identified by witnesses.

Read more about the shooting HERE.

Wichit Police Chief Col Nikorn Somsuk says, “The suspect is 23 year old Jakkrit Sangsaard. Yesterday he presented himself to police for the shooting and carrying gun in public changes. He has denied the charges and been bailed.”

“At this stage we believe that the suspect and the dead man, Teerasak, had a previous conflict.. Teerasak stopped his motorbike and tried to fire a shot at the suspect but the gun misfired. The suspect then shot back. We are continuing our investigation.”

Continue Reading

Phuket

Legal action taken against people who removed beer cans from beer truck accident scene

The Thaiger

Published

on

Legal action taken against people who removed beer cans from beer truck accident scene | The Thaiger

PHOTOS / VIDEO:  Thanakrit Asulyakul / Mana Sombat / Kanlaya Singkangrang / Kritsada Mueanhawong

Legal action has already been taken against four people who ‘removed’ beer cans after a truck carrying boxes of beer cans overturned in Phuket on January 11.

A logistic company representative has filed a report with police after more than 80,000 beer cans, valued at more than two million baht, mysteriously “vanished” after the truck overturned in Rassada.

Read more about the incident outside a Rassada 7/11 HERE.

The Phuket City Police Chief Col Sompong Thiparpakun says, “Four people have now been arrested. They have admitted that they saw other people taking beer cans, so they did too. They say they have consumed the contents of all beer cans. ”

“If evidence can be provided that other people took these beer cans and sold them, legal action will be taken against them too.”

“It was illegal to remove these items from the crash scene.”

Legal action taken against people who removed beer cans from beer truck accident scene | News by The Thaiger

Legal action taken against people who removed beer cans from beer truck accident scene | News by The Thaiger Legal action taken against people who removed beer cans from beer truck accident scene | News by The Thaiger Legal action taken against people who removed beer cans from beer truck accident scene | News by The Thaiger Legal action taken against people who removed beer cans from beer truck accident scene | News by The Thaiger

 

Continue Reading

The Thaiger Newsletter

Keep up with all the day’s news. Subscribe here.

The latest news and information from Thailand.

* indicates required



Trending