Phuket kitesurfer not stung, didn’t drown, say lifeguards

PHUKET: Phuket lifeguards have dismissed the assertion that the American kitesurfer who died shortly after being pulled from the sea at Nai Harn Beach yesterday drowned or was stung by a jellyfish.

Nai Harn lifeguard Charintorn Naripen told the Phuket Gazette, “Four of us tried for 20 minutes to revive the casualty before the ambulance arrived. We don’t believe he drowned as he did not throw up any liquid. Also, the location when he raised the alarm was very close to the beach.

“Even though we’ve found about five bluebottles [stingers] on Nai Harn Beach every day, we found no trace of them on him, so we’re quite sure he didn’t die from that,” he said.

Mr Charintorn added that the wind yesterday was quite strong, and that kitesurfers usually do not venture out when the wind is too strong.

The identity of the American kite surfer has not been released as relatives have yet to be informed, the Gazette was told.

Staff at Bangkok Hospital Phuket today said they had yet to identify the cause of death and were awaiting contact from the US Embassy.

— Atchaa Khamlo

Phuket News

Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.

Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.

Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Leave a Reply