Low response to free tsunami trip offer

PHUKET: The government had expected some 10,000 relatives of tsunami victims to take advantage of its offer of free flights and a one-night stay for the tsunami anniversary commemoration ceremonies. In the event, only 400 people have signed up so far.

The Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Region 4, Suwalai Pinpradab, told the Gazette that the government has therefore extended the deadline for applications for the program – which is also open to people who were injured by the waves – until November 25.

K. Suwalai said, “Some people have booked hotel accommodation by themselves, some don’t want to come at this time, and some countries, such as Sweden, have already held tsunami commemoration ceremonies. This is a sensitive issue and it is difficult to predict how many people will come to take part.”

The application form may be found here.

Phuket News
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Check Also
Close