Connect with us

Phuket

“Ladies only” buses launched in Bangkok

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published

on

“Ladies only” buses launched in Bangkok | The Thaiger

BANGKOK (AFP): All-female “lady buses” will begin operating in Bangkok today, in a bid to eliminate sexual harassment of female passengers. The buses, which are marked with pink signs, will only take females and will “provide comfort and safety for women … freeing them from sexual harassment,” the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) said in a statement. If male passengers board the buses, they will feel as out of place as they would in women’s toilets, the head of the BMTA said on a Bangkok radio program. The buses will also help protect women from male bag-slashers, who tend to target female passengers with handbags at the end of the month, when many people receive their salaries. The BMTA will run 50 “lady buses” along ten major city routes during the evening rush hours. Although the buses will take only female passengers, their drivers and conductors will be men. The BMTA says it will screen these men in an effort to assess their sensitivity to women. The BMTA is Bangkok’s major public transport authority, operating more than 3,500 buses. They transport some 3.5 million passengers a day, sixty percent of whom are women. There was no comment from the BMTA as to whether or not lady-men will be welcome aboard the lady buses.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Bangkok

TAT expects 2.3 million tourists for this year’s Songkran

The Thaiger

Published

on

TAT expects 2.3 million tourists for this year’s Songkran | The Thaiger

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is expecting more than 2.3 million local and foreign tourists will join the various Songkran celebrations this year. They say that should generate 20 billion baht+ in revenue for tourism and tourism-related services.

TAT’s Governor Yuthasak Supasorn says 300,000 international arrivals are expected to celebrate the five day festival starting April 12, along with two million locals who will travel to celebrate Songkran this year. Songkran falling on a weekend this year will also bolster local tourism numbers.

The number of Songkran-specific visitors is up this year, partly because of the growing popularity of the festival internationally and the government extending the holiday to five days this year, now starting on April 12 (although ‘Songkran, the Thai New Year, is actually on April 13).

Songkran festival extended HERE.

He admits that the bad publicity about the poor air quality in the northern regions is a problem, especially around Chiang Mai which has become a big international visitor favorite over recent yers.

Chiang Mai is one of nine provinces in the North struggling with smoke haze, mostly because of open-air burning of farm waste and rubbish, and localised bush fires. The heavy smog has caused temporary suspension of flights between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son although flights into Chiang Mai have been unaffected so far.

Continue Reading

Phuket

German man dies in Phuket motorcycle crash

The Thaiger

Published

on

German man dies in Phuket motorcycle crash | The Thaiger

A German man has died after a motorbike crash in Thalang.

The Thalang Police were notified of the incident last night on Srisoonthorn Road in Baan Manik, Thalang.

The German man, 53 year old Carsten Elfried Koch, was the driver of a motorbike and sustained critical injuries as a result of the crash. He died at the scene.

Police believe that Mr Koch was heading back to his home in Cherng Talay at high speed. He lost control at a curve on the wet road.

His body was taken to the Thalang Hospital for an autopsy. Officials have informed the German Embassy in Thailand.

Police didn’t report if the man was wearing a bike helmet or not.

German man dies in Phuket motorcycle crash | News by The Thaiger

Continue Reading

Phuket

Officers follow-up on slow loris tout on Phuket beach – VIDEO

The Thaiger

Published

on

Officers follow-up on slow loris tout on Phuket beach – VIDEO | The Thaiger

Phuket officials are searching for a ‘loris tout’ who was offering photographs with a slow loris at a Kata beach. (Some video of a slow loris below)

‘Angelina Bratukhina’ posted a video with a message read “Where are the police??!! It’s right now at Kata Noi beach.”

The man was offering photos with the slow loris for 200 -300 baht each time (a sign of local inflation, it used to be 100 baht).

The slow loris is a protected animal. Anyone who captures a slow loris can be fined up to 40,000 baht or imprisoned up to four years, or both.

The head of Khao Phra Thaeo non-hunting area in Thalang, Piyawat Sukhon says police are aware of the situation and are actively trying to track the tout down.

“We have searched for the man but not found him on the beach. He might circulate around Phuket’s beaches. Anyone who sees this kind of incident can call 191 or my number 089 873 7749.”

Where is police??!! It's right now at Kata Noy beach

Posted by Angelina Bratukhina on Sunday, March 17, 2019

 

Officers follow-up on slow loris tout on Phuket beach - VIDEO | News by The Thaiger

Continue Reading

The Thaiger Newsletter

Keep up with all the day’s news. Subscribe here.

The latest news and information from Thailand.

* indicates required



Trending